• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fairy Pitta-Hushan Dam Project, Taiwan (1 Viewer)

Mark Bruce said:
...Hushan Reservoir project has gone through a detailed and rigorous review before its approval..

Shen-Hsien Chen
Director-General
Water Resources Agency
Ministry of Economics Affairs
Taiwan, ROC"

Have sent an email as well, but I dont like the above quote, makes it sound a bit late in the day. Has the scheme been approved, or is the minister jumping the gun a bit?

Thanks for highlighting the issues,
Gareth

The approval was given. However, we now have an article 18
investigation pending (Environment Impact Assessment Act, article 18
requires developers to provide information and responses when
discoveries are made that change the assumptions of the project - e.g.,
in the original EIA such a major fact as the important breeding ground
for fairy pitta was left out, as was any addressing of the 921
earthquake and possible impact on the project's area of influence.)

The Director-General does seem to have forgotten about the pending article 18
investigation.

Hi Mark,

I wonder why the Governor General has forgotten the pending Investigation Article 18? I hope, unlike our politicans he he has not got a very selective memory when it suits.

I hope someone will remind him of his obligations.

Thanks for keeping us posted, keep fighting.

Ann

Hi Ann,
There has been a lot of selective memory over the Hushan Project over the years. They forgot about the Fairy Pitta and the earthquakes. When they were made to remember them, they seem to have been rather selective over what they want to remember.

Bumped.

Done the deed. Actually going to Taiwan in December on a two week birding trip, so will almost certainly visit this site. No chance of the Fairy's obviously, but would love to see the area anyway.

Mark - if you have any words of advice or wisdom for a December trip to Taiwan, could you drop me a PM please. Cheers.

Paul.

Another Angle Of Attack!?

Please action and pass to your lists and contacts:

A vital habitat for the Fairy Pitta Pitta nympha in Taiwan is once again threatened with destruction by revived proposals to build a dam at Hushan. If this project is realised, the species – now numbering only some 2000 individuals worldwide - could face extinction.

Add your protest to those of local conservationists and BirdLife International against this unnecessary project at

http://www.proact-campaigns.net/localcampaigns/fairy_pitta.html

where you will find comprehensive background information.

Thank you,

Last edited:
Waiting for the lawyers to get the rebuttal together. The pending article 18 investigation is taking up some time so hopefully the letter will be ready pretty soon.

The President did visit the area over the weekend and he heard from the head of the Taiwan Drinking Water Corporation that building the dam was not a good idea because of the turbid quality of the water from the two rivers Jhuoshui and Cingshui. He feels that there are better alternatives such as desalinization, other sorts of groundwater savings measures, conservation and so on.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back