• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falco peregrinus pelegrinoides? (Canarian Island, Teneriffe) (1 Viewer)

JarJar

Hi there,

could this be Falco peregrinus (maybe) ssp. pelegrinoides?

Seen in Spain, Canarian Islands, Teneriffe, North-East of the Island, Coastline, Anaga near Roque Bermejo, 27. Mai 2021

Thanks a lot and best regards,
Christoph

Attachments

• IMG_8120.jpg
    IMG_8120.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_8121.jpg
    IMG_8121.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_8122.jpg
    IMG_8122.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 73
falco peregrinus pelegrinoides interesting question , subspecies overlap over several hundred kilometers, for example brookei genes are present in more than 60% of german birds that is several hundred kilometers from their mediterranean origin.
on photographs we can only appreciate the phenotype and nt the genotype so based on that element , your bird can savely been describe as pelegrinoides

Nowadays uniditentifiable
Mixture of population, only most extreme individuals still pure

For what it's worth - I have only seen them on three islands (Tenerife, three or four locations; La Palma, two locations; La Gomera, three locations) but those I've been able to see at closer quarters (ie. colour distinguishable) have all looked recognizably like Barbarys to me - smaller than peregrines (females being approximately the size of a British peregrine tiercel), often giving the impression of being somewhat more sandy-coloured, and often flying with a quicker, sharper wingbeat. A couple of times I've been close enough to see distinct rufous colouration on their heads. I have not yet seen a bird that looked like a typical peregrinus peregrine to me - but to be fair I certainly haven't seen anywhere near as many individuals, in as many of the islands, as Beneharo has.

I was out with a local tenerife conservationist who works with raptors last week and he seemed to think they are pretty much all hybridised now. We saw 6 I think and only one of them had features he considered close to what he was used to in earlier years and even that one had signs of hybridization

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back