• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falcon from Mar 2018 - Black Sea Coast (1 Viewer)

v11235813

Hello,

I observed this falcon in the spring of 2018, on the Black Sea coast near Burgas in Bulgaria.

Ever since I have not been certain if it's a saker or a juvenile peregrine. The saker does pass through the region on migration, yet the peregrine is a more common wintering species there.

The bird made a sweep across a small bay, where I was observing and managed to make the 3 pictures attached.

Any clues would be appreciated.

Attachments

• fal1.JPG
    fal1.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 81
  • fal2.JPG
    fal2.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 82
  • fal3.JPG
    fal3.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 83
It’s not an easy set of images - It would have to be a Northern type if it is Peregrine I guess, given such a pale head but the slim-bodied, small-headed and apparently blunt winged structure favour Lanner imo. Perhaps, given the brownish tinges to the mantle, an immature bird? There’s no way either of knowing from these images if it is a falconer’s hybrid either.

Hi,

Thank you very much for your ideas. I had not thought of a hybrid. Also I did not notice falconers or other people around, but not impossible, I guess.

Lanner is yet another interesting idea, but I am not sure if it's been recorded in the region - will check.

Thank you!

Hi V11235813

Falconer’s birds escape and can survive in the wild so it wouldn’t be necessary to see anybody. You're right, Saker could also be possible but the wings looked too lightish grey on my monitor so for that, I didn’t give it the consideration it might deserve.

Ps is there any reason you have a string of numbers rather than a name, it makes it quite odd to address you! 🤔

How would you say this bird compared in terms of size, proportions (wing and tail length, wing breadth) and manner of flight to the falcons you're familiar with in your area? (I would guess along the Black Sea coast, mainly peregrines?)

This thing about hybrid falcons - yes there must be some at large, but how often are they actually spotted, especially outside the countries where falconry is more widely practised? There can't be many (or any) breeders of, or falconers flying, hybrid falcons within hundreds of miles of Burgas, Bulgaria...

How would you say this bird compared in terms of size, proportions (wing and tail length, wing breadth) and manner of flight to the falcons you're familiar with in your area? (I would guess along the Black Sea coast, mainly peregrines?)

This thing about hybrid falcons - yes there must be some at large, but how often are they actually spotted, especially outside the countries where falconry is more widely practised? There can't be many (or any) breeders of, or falconers flying, hybrid falcons within hundreds of miles of Burgas, Bulgaria...
A bit a a Red-herring to seriously consider a hybrid here. As an aside, hybridity is not always obvious in falcons.

It is either a Saker or a Lanner imo - Sakers look more brown to me but I don’t think we can be sure on these images.

Not much of the underwing can be seen, which would make things much easier, but I really think this is a juvenile calidus-type Peregrine.

at what date did you see that falcon ? if it was after mid april it is not a peregrine in this case looking at the trees around it seems to have been taken before the beginning of april, concerning hybrids forget the idea , they usually wear some equiment one way or another, be it long straps in the legs , or bells or transmiters all very visible in first year birds , besides by spring nobody is flying as hunting season has closed and people stop the birds for moulting, in this case and based on the second picture I would bet for a calidus peregrine, as it is slender with shorter tail than a saker or lanner and the head pattern match a calidus peregrine 1608284276730.png

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back