• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falcon /Hawk? (1 Viewer)

Sharp shin?

look at how short the wings are

but then again it has a moustachial...

does it have short wings? can the angle make them look so short?

nah, scratch my wine induced lunacy, obviously a falcon...

Last edited:
OK...the tail looks a little like an American race of merlin..sort of; but just look at it's trousers and 'bandy' legs.. Merlin would never show trousers like this, along with sturdy legs and very powerful, gripping feet. Merlins actually have very weak bills and feet.

I know some of my theories are not scientific but the power of this bird shines through.

The more I look at this lone bird, the more I think that somewhere in there is a Peregrine.

PS...
I didn't want to mention the trousers earlier..bur what's good enough for Forsman...is good enough for me.

John.

Last edited:
Klant said:
If you look at the barb? things in the barb wire (the sharp thingys, you know...), and assume that one is about an inch across, the bird would stick up horisontally about 12 inches/30 cm. If you factor in the y component, and assume that the bird sits in a 45 degree angle, the bird would be 40-45 cm in lenght :)

But I think barbs are only about 3/4 inch, so then you have a 30-35 cm bird. i.e. merlin size.

The blur effect could be affecting the face colour (looks dark), it appears to be a female (bulkier), it's a western bird (darker), supecillium and tail bands.... not so bad for merlin.

But then there's that left leg..John may be right about the jesses. Who knows their middle eastern falcons?

Scott

Indeed a wierd bird. My immidiate impression was a little like John's, "this ain't no merlin". If you look at the length of the tail, there are three clear wide dark bands visible below the bird, while in the link given by JanJ http://www.notason.com/oiseaux/id52.htm the bird has difficulty showing one full dark band beyond the undertail coverts. The tail looks more like something that used to sit on a coopers hawk for length.

I am afraid I cannot come with a good alternative either.

Niels

hey NAL1212 if this was a Merlin- which seems to be the majority view despite it not looking quite right- it should have looked pretty small to you when you saw it. Did it look small?

See National Geographic's Complete Birds of North America at page 157. Appears to be a Prairie Merlin, (Richardsoni) largest of 3 subspecies in North America. Has wider tail bands than the Taiga (Columbaris).

28hrs since this was posted..and it still doesn't look like any Merlin I've ever seen. Even the Yanks aren't as big as this 'thing'...

I have asked the poster several question by mail....back soon.

John

john barclay said:
28hrs since this was posted..and it still doesn't look like any Merlin I've ever seen. Even the Yanks aren't as big as this 'thing'...

I have asked the poster several question by mail....back soon.

John

Praire falcon looks good...have no idea what the largest looks like. Will have a look in Eagles Hawks and Falcons.

John.

JANJ said:
You mean 'Prarie Merlin' John?
The one with wider tail bands as mentioned way back.
JanJ

Just googled Prairie Merlin. It ceratinly has the tail of a PM..and that's all it resembles to a PM.

John.

Saw that Hannu, the first ones appears to be a Taiga Merlin (F. c. columbarius), which are darkest in the east getting paler westwards.
Tail pattern on this ssp. fits maybe better.
JanJ

JANJ said:
Saw that Hannu, the first ones appears to be a Taiga Merlin (F. c. columbarius), which are darkest in the east getting paler westwards.
Tail pattern on this ssp. fits maybe better.
JanJ

Hi guys

just popped back for a look- still think it is a Merlin based on tail and apparent size (guaged versus the post) but entirely agree it has just something of the jizz of a bigger falcon.

I didn't bother before to say anything about the odd contours of L leg (R as we look at it)- I had assumed from outset that it looks as it does because it is holding remant of prey item and foot itself is bunched around that and not directly resting on the post.

I checked Sibley's big guide this time at p. 130. It shows illustrations for comparison of the three North American sub species. This bird, once again, looks like a female Falco Richardsoni or Prairie Merlin. Clark and Wheeler's Hawks of North America 2nd edition at p.258 shows an adult male in flight. Both males and females are much paler than the other 2 subspecies. The tail bars are wider and more prominent.

Here is a bigger question. This is an North American bird. Why are only 4 people from North America taking part in this discussion? Everyone else is from Europe.

Last edited:
looks like a typical 1st winter Merlin to me that we see over here much darker than European Merlins. The tail barring rules out Peregrine ie not enough bars. Its clearly not a Prairie Falcon because a) they are very big b) it has a barred tail c) its too dark. Its also too dark to be a Prairie Merlin.

ceasar said:
Here is a bigger question. This is an North American bird. Why are only 4 people from North America taking part in this discussion? Everyone else is from Europe.

I am not quite sure where you put me, Europe or US? I actually live in the Caribbean, and last winter had a (Eastern US type) merlin visible from our veranda most days. This winter the first observation came about 10 days ago. I have actually seen more species in US than in Europe, even though Denmark is my original home.

To return to this bird, I agree with whoever said it cannot be a prairie form, they should be lighter. It does not fit the 2-3 of that type I have seen. Looking at what I have available here, the best place seems to be hawks in flight by Dunne, Sibley and Sutten (First edition). The photos there show 1½ to 2 broad dark bands beyond the tail coverts, again giving me the impression that this is not a merlin because the tail is too long. The strength of the bird is more difficult to assess, but in no way is this a bird that gives a similar impression to those I normally see here. Of course, a photo from a moment later or earlier could give a different impression.

Cheers
Niels

white-back said:
hey NAL1212 if this was a Merlin- which seems to be the majority view despite it not looking quite right- it should have looked pretty small to you when you saw it. Did it look small?

I sent John Barclay the full pictures, and as I said to him the bird did not look small.

NAL1212

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back