• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fallen Birdbox - Blue Tits nesting (1 Viewer)

Ryan87

United Kingdom
Hi all 👋🏻 Newbie here

I have had a bird box in my garden the last couple of years and this year finally a pair of blue tits have been nesting- I’ve been enjoying watching them go back and forth with materials and lining the box and wanted to get an in box camera but decided against it for this year as didn’t want to disturb the nest.

We had some very strong winds yesterday and unfortunately the bird box has fallen to the ground.

I was unsure what to do but after some research it seems that opening the box to check what was going on on inside was okay as long as I didn’t disturb the nest, on investigation I could see a nest built with eggs laid in but looks like some have been cracked in the fall :(

The box is back in its original position and now securely positioned so won’t be moving again if we get any more bad weather.

The blue tits have been back and forth to the box again today and using the feeders as normal but I think I saw one of them removing something from the box?

Could they be getting rid of eggs or moving their nest elsewhere and abandoning this one now there has been damage? Can’t find much information online on birds moving next materials on to a new site so not sure if this was something blue tits would do . .

Not sure if there is anything I can do or is it a case of just monitoring the box and seeing what happens over the next few days.

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated! 🙏🏼

I'd leave it be for awhile as they could be removing parts of broken eggs. Just give it a few weeks and see how things progress.

Hi there Ryan and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

It could well be that they are removing the damaged eggs. It’s unlikely that they would be moving nesting material to a new site.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back