• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fast-running bird, KL Malaysia. (5 Viewers)

Yeah... Surprisingly it isn't included on the ebird.org list of Kuala Lumpur birds. BTW the mosquitos here are horrible...

Not sure which specific eBird list you are looking at - one's covering parks have them. Paddyfield pipit's are common in anywhere in KL with the right habitat. I'm there every few weeks for a couple of days on biz and see every time!

Twice the size of a sparrow if you include the tail. IDK. :p

It really looks like a Locustella bird, perhaps a Middendorff's Grasshopper-warbler (Locustella ochotensis).

I picked the two possible ones - Middendorf's isn't going to be there and would be a mega vagrant and it's really a few weeks early even for the commoner two. None of them regularly running around in the open - hopping hiding under bushes very hard to see being their style

Hmm... I was using this one
https://ebird.org/region/MY-14?yr=cur

Every single bird recorded in the region.

Only if someone entered it to have it incorporated under that list and most foreigners wont know what the Malay at the start means! Anyway use the "Species Maps" feature and enter Paddyfield Pipit as species and Kuala Lumpur as location and you'll see all the locations nearby that have Paddyfield Pipit on their list.

So I've been birding in the local park for quite some time, and I've never seen this guy till today. I didn't have my camera, but I will do my best to describe it.
- Female tree-sparrow like olivy coloration
- About the size of a yellow-vented bulbul
- Runs alot, about 2m/s is my guess.
- Looked a bit like a female Baya Weaver but has a longer tail (almost the length of the whole body)
- Dark eyestripe, black-brown
- Wings were quite long.
- Forages like a zebra dove.

(edit)
- Colors like a Savi's Warbler
- Thinner than a warbler, very very sparrowlike
- Might be a juvenile white-browed crake (looks like it but has a longer tail, much longer) (http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_Image_ID=124811&Bird_ID=810&Bird_Family_ID=&Location=)

Didn't hear a call.

By the way, female and male (Eurasian) Tree Sparrow are similar ;)

Only if someone entered it to have it incorporated under that list and most foreigners wont know what the Malay at the start means! Anyway use the "Species Maps" feature and enter Paddyfield Pipit as species and Kuala Lumpur as location and you'll see all the locations nearby that have Paddyfield Pipit on their list.

A good few birders may know?

I know quite a few who have more than adequate Bahasa.

Last edited:

Thanks, it seems that there has already been one recorded sighting of two pipits at that park a few months ago. Unfortunately the person who recorded it was a foreigner who input the wrong state (it's Kuala Lumpur, not Selangor). At least now I've got some confirmation. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back