• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

February Moths 2021 (1 Viewer)

Rubia

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes
01/02. Only one moth tonight, on the wall by the trap a Spring Usher. New for Garden, first new one of the year.
Went for a walk earlier: found one Winter Moth, one March Moth and netted 33 Dotted Borders. The latter were leaving the wood in reasonable numbers along a field edge.

Still too cold and with too much snow cover here in Aviemore to get the trap out yet, and more snow forecast over the next week. Some winters I've managed to get the trap out at least a couple of times by now, usually my first moth of the year is Pale Brindled Beauty, I'd love to see a Spring Usher.

" I'd love to see a Spring Usher."

I bet you have stuff up there in Aviemore that are beyond my wildest dreams. Just hope I get my holiday at Glenloy this year, that should have happened last year, as they run a trap there.

Two ticks waiting for me this morning - Spring Usher & Dotted Border. Looks worth trapping again Thursday night.

Attachments

• IMG_20210203_084202.jpg
    IMG_20210203_084202.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20210203_084224.jpg
    IMG_20210203_084224.jpg
    647.8 KB · Views: 10
03/02. Two hour walk in Panshanger Park (17:30-19:30) - 2 Pale Brindled Beauty, 1 Winter Moth, 4 Dotted Border, 1 Agonopterix heracliana and new for year 2 Early Moths. I've done about 25 miles at night since the start of January looking for Early Moth in hedges and woods, was starting to think they were just a myth.

Using the actinic tonight in the garden - so far - 1 Spring Usher and 1 March Moth (which is a garden tick). Nothing else this morning, I've noticed that at this point in the year anything that turns up is usually between 5.30-8.30pm with nothing later.

Last edited:
Much colder than the forecast last night but still worth trying.This mornings catch, Oak Beauty, Dark Chestnut, Spring Usher and 3 Pale Brindled Beauties.

Moth trap is on ... so we will see.

Only ended up trapping on 4 nights in Jan - nil returns. We are fairly exposed here and most of the time the weather had been fairly poor to be honest.

A Case-bearing Clothes Moth last night. Guess I'm missing a chunk of carpet somewhere or a sock.

15/02. Mildness returns! Put the actinic trap out for 5 hours last night, while dry. This brought in one March Moth and one Agonopterix heracliana.
I suspect it is a bit too close to the cold spell to get a lot but given a few days of warmer temps perhaps things will pick up, hopefully. The main problem is while it is warmer it seems to have returned to wet weather, often at night.

Just a Satellite for me last night, hopefully things will pick up the next few days.

Attachments

• IMG_20210216_102727.jpg
    IMG_20210216_102727.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 5
18/02. Only catch last night was one Agonopterix heracliana.
Wind speeds above ten making it difficult on top of a hill, which is a pain as people near me with more shelter or near woods are getting a few moths now. The next few days are warm but probably too windy, but I'll keep trying if it is dry.

20/02. 2 Agonopterix heracliana, March Moth and 1 Pale Brindled Beauty. Gave up just before midnight as it is now too windy.

Gen det back on 27/01 Acleris, that I thought was going to be notana/ferugana, turns out is a kochiella. A life tick (sadly not in garden), but few recent Herts records so a nice find.

Well, we're off and running, but the excitement level has dropped a bit: two Common Quakers in the trap this morning. Still, I half expected nothing, so a year tick is welcome! 2021 moth list = 1 sp.

John

21/02. 13 moths total. 2 Common Plume, 6 March Moth, 2 Winter Shade (Tortricodes alternella), 1 Satellite, 1 Acleris and 1 Dotted Border.
Dotted Border and Winter Shade both garden ticks. Yay.
Ran the MV till 22:30 then the actinic, actinic attracted more but it might be time of night rather than type of trap.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back