• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FG Birds of Machu Picchu and Cusco region, Peru (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
I have not seen this new FG mentioned so far, so here it is:
Barry Walker, Field Guide to the Birds of Machu Picchu and the Cusco Region, Peru.

I got mine from NHBS, but as Lynx and Buteo Books are among the publishers, there should be several easy to find sources. All involved are to be congratulated for this fine team work over three "continents" so to speak. Barry Walker (based in Peru) has published books for the region before, but they have been hard to find. So here now, is a book that essentially combines all the good features from three sources.
Barry Walker's text has been updated from previous versions. The illustrations for the 165 color plates are straigt out of HBW. Thus of good quality but often just one picture per species. The book is said to cover the almost 500 species known to occur in the region. As the region is limited in size, range maps are not given. More important is the elevation where a species can be found.

The book also contains an annotated checklist and it provides info on a few places to visit aside from the Machu Picchu ruins.

Can you give me a list of the illustrators who participated on this book? Unfortunately the illustrator team is not mentioned in the internet. I've read that Eustace Barnes should be among the illustrators, is that true?

Can you give me a list of the illustrators who participated on this book? Unfortunately the illustrator team is not mentioned in the internet. I've read that Eustace Barnes should be among the illustrators, is that true?

I don't see a reference to Barnes. The majority of the illustrations must come from HBW, it only says Lynx Promocins, S.L.
Specifically mentioned are Jon Fjeldsa for the cover illustration and Francesc Jutglar for some extra plumages and flight illustrations.

Thank you very much, Robert.

Interesting to read that because the BirdQuest page on Eustace Barnes states that he will working with Barry Walker on the Machu Picchu bird guide. Maybe the collaboration was in talk but for reasons it has been never happened.

https://www.birdquest-tours.com/ourteam.cfm?team=73

The book came out in 2015, and Barnes's website only lists tours that are coming up in the future. So it is clearly being updated. But why not updating the credentials?
I presume when Barry Walker contacted Lynx about publishing such a book, they told him it could be done quicker and cheaper by resorting to illustrations they already had. Looking at the illustrations Barnes did for the first Peru FG, it might be they figured they already had better ones anyway, now that HBW was completed.
I do think his illustrations for the Cotingas and Manakins book are OK, though.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back