• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Field Guide for the Pacific Northwest (1 Viewer)

katlzxdcj

I'm really interested in starting my own little birdwatching operation. I'm in the pacific northwest (washington, specifically). There are a bunch of guides available on amazon, but I'm not sure what one to go for. Not that they are a huge sum of money. I just don't want to have to order a second time. Are there any that are specific to common birds so that I can start learning the basics?

Thanks!

It is not limited to common birds, but I would recommend The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Western North America. Guides with a narrower focus tend to be of lesser quality. If you want something more narrowly focused on your area that would be fine as a supplement, but I'd look to something like Sibley as your main reference for how to ID the birds. Most birders have more than one guide.

For information about getting started in birding, you might want to take a look at the Pete Dunne book listed here:

http://www.birderslibrary.com/features/books_for_beginning_birders.htm

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back