• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Field Guide to Chiapas (Mexico) (1 Viewer)

Hey all,

I am traveling to Chiapas this summer to do research for my MS. Despite that taking up most of my time, I would like to do some birding while I am down there. I am wondering if anyone has had any experiences with the field guides that are out there for Mexican birds.

I have the Garrigues book for Costa Rica, and was very pleased with its size, layout, and images. I was particularly pleased with the range maps directly next to the images of the respective birds.

However, each of the guides for Mexico seem to have some sort of problem. This one seems to be poorly organized. The Peterson guide is incomplete. The Princeton Illustrated edition does not have the maps next to the birds and has small pictures. The Howell book is huge and also does not have the maps next to the bird images. Finally, the Collins book is quite expensive. Any suggestions or preferences here?

See my answer to your other thread on this issue

Niels

Thanks for the help. After posting on the general board, I figured that this would be a more appropriate place, so I put it here as well. Looks like it may have been the other way around based on the number of responses I have received...

The Peterson guide also has no range maps at all, and the images are completely separate from the bird in question (they are all concentrated in the middle of the book). Mexican birders I've found on the AvesdeMexico website, similar to BirdForum but in Spanish, swear by the Howell book. But I haven't yet made myself willing to shell out that sort of cash!

The Peterson guide also has no range maps at all, and the images are completely separate from the bird in question (they are all concentrated in the middle of the book). Mexican birders I've found on the AvesdeMexico website, similar to BirdForum but in Spanish, swear by the Howell book. But I haven't yet made myself willing to shell out that sort of cash!

It seems to be listed on Amazon.com for only $35? Is this the book you're referring to? That is a relatively low price compared to field guides for other less well-documented corners of the globe...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back