• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Field guides - Sri Lanka (1 Viewer)

Fstopped

Hi all. I know there's a seperate forum for this, but looks like the last question took 2 years to get an answer so I'm taking my chances on this one.

It's looking like we're going to be heading to Sri Lanka for our honeymoon, and I'm looking for a decent field guide. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers!

Birds of Sri Lanka by Deepal Warakagoda, Carol Inskipp, Tim Inskipp and Richard Grimmett is an excellent guide. The illustrations are the same as in the Birds of the Indian Subcontinent by Richard Grimmett, Carol Inskipp and Tim Inskipp, however the text and the maps have been adapted especially for Sri Lanka.
Check also the Opus for informations about birding sites: http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Sri_Lanka

André

The Warakagoda book is about the best. Harrison is also good, if you are buying this get the british print, what is available locally is printed in India and is of very poor quality.

Until Warakagoda book came out, Harrison was the best

We met a brilliant guide who lives in Kandy and does bird watching trips in the Knuckle range. I was new to birding, but my husband is keen. I loved the trip! His name is Nish and he speaks excellent English and is delightful company. We camped one night in his friend's very small campsite. His contact details are: Nishantha Indrajith. Email [email protected].

Last edited:
Not sure if I can say this but I was surprised to see Suemsl recommendation of this man, Nishantha Indrajith. Suffice to say that we had a horrible experience with this guide and would definitely not use him again or recommend him. We could go into the reasons but I am not sure I'm allowed to do that on this forum. We have since found out that he has a serious violent court case pending against him in Kandy. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you have to be very careful who you choose to take you bird watching in the mountains. You were lucky!

Not sure if I can say this but I was surprised to see your recommendation (Suemsl) of this man, Nishantha Indrajith. Suffice to say that we had a horrible experience with this guide and would definitely not use him again or recommend him. We could go into the reasons but I am not sure I'm allowed to do that on this forum. We have since found out that he has a serious violent court case pending against him in Kandy. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you have to be very careful who you choose to take you bird watching in the mountains. You were lucky!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back