• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fieldguide for Cetaceans (1 Viewer)

I think Shirihai and Jarrett's book is excellent and at that price an absolute gift.

Thanks, I'll get it. I find it astonishing that after so many years online booksellers still show so few excerpts from books to enable you to make a decision about whether to buy them. That's why I have to keep asking on here.

Ever tried NHBS (www.nhbs.com)?

//Jonas

Yes, I suppose they're a bit better than Amazon for pictures. Still a bit less than ideal though. I wouldn't generally buy there because they seem quite a bit dearer than Amazon and I get regular Amazon vouchers for hosting some web advertising, and I need to get through those.

I think Shirihai and Jarrett's book is excellent and at that price an absolute gift.

After having checked a few more comments elsewhere, I could not help myself ordering right away. I'm astonished that I had missed this book so far. But then, I already have a number of "whale" guides. Yet this one seems to cover some new ground. And the price sure sounds like a true gift. Thanks for having pointed this out as well. It made me check in the first place. Otherwise I might have missed this book again.

After having checked a few more comments elsewhere, I could not help myself ordering right away. I'm astonished that I had missed this book so far. But then, I already have a number of "whale" guides. Yet this one seems to cover some new ground. And the price sure sounds like a true gift. Thanks for having pointed this out as well. It made me check in the first place. Otherwise I might have missed this book again.

Shirihai and Jarrett are also the team behind my all-time favourite field guide, the Complete Guide to Antarctic Wildlife (although I admittedly haven't used it in the field - yet).

Just bought the cetacean guide on the basis of this thread - haven't looked in detail yet but seems a belter, and what a good price as well!

John

Great book

Got my copy today, and I'm very much impressed. Definitely the best of the several books on the topic that I have seen/owned so far.

Thus another special Thank You to Edward, for pointing it out. :t:

I have the Antarctic Wildlife Guide as well. Also without having had a chance to use it. But that is such a bulky book that I would not be able to take it on a trip anyway; unless I would only visit the Antarctic, of course. The present book, however, has a quite convenient size.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendations, I have just ordered one ... Funny that this one is half price in Amazon-UK compared with Amazon-US!

Niels

Thanks for the recommendations, I have just ordered one ... Funny that this one is half price in Amazon-UK compared with Amazon-US!

Niels

It's definitely worth checking different places. But taking into account postage as well. In this case, I think it may be due to a British publisher that UK is cheaper. Very often, US is cheaper, but it then has higher postage for me in Europe.

It's definitely worth checking different places. But taking into account postage as well. In this case, I think it may be due to a British publisher that UK is cheaper. Very often, US is cheaper, but it then has higher postage for me in Europe.

Mine will be sent to a relative in the UK, where I can then pick it up next time I visit.

Niels

.....www.bookdepositary.co.uk is a better deal than Amazon as it includes free postage pretty much worldwide. I wish I had discovered it years ago...

So far, I only get lots of sponsored links, instead of the book I want. So how do I get to the actual bookstore without getting lost? And most of the sponsored links are from Switzerland, and in German. Shows how transparent my browsing record has become. But it does not exactly build confidence in this site. It's the same problem when Amazon.com always wants to connect me with Amazon.de. They just don't offer the same at the same prices. And many items are only available from one of them. Sometimes one is better, sometimes the other, as mentioned earlier.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back