• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

File organizer with tag and geo-tagging (1 Viewer)

adri_

France
Hi everyone,

A rather special question. With the accumulation of sound records (and therefore of folders, sub-folders, ... etc) I am looking for a file organizer allowing to classify my records with personalized tags (species, year, place etc ...). And if possible a possibility to add a GPS position (why not?).

I have been looking for some time without success, so I leave it to you!

Do you use this type of software, do you have any ideas?

Thank you for your advice and information!

A-d-r-i

ACDsee is a photo organization tool that is also now providing editing tools (in ultimate, this is getting pretty advanced). This definitely is able to organize all the types of files you want. If you are not using photo editing, then the simplest version of the program will do; if you are doing photos as well, it might be worthwhile to go above.

Niels

Depending on what the aim and your platform is, this simple solution might help: I usually make a spreadsheet with a column of hyperlinks (one to each file). Then you can add as many classifier columns as you want and use auto filter tools to show just the records you want. Additional hyperlink cols can be links to parts of the file path like containing folder. This is easy to implement with Microsoft Excel, but also free platforms like libre/open office (where you also have built in support for regular expressions). You can of course use tools like DOS, vb script etc to get a list of the full paths to the files which makes constructing the hyperlinks really easy

I should have added one more thing: for those file types that allow saving of metadata into the file itself, ACDSee allows you to do that, meaning that you can easily rebuild the database if need be.

This is added in response to the system the Fern described which is essentially building a database of the information but without the ability to embed the data into the files themselves. As a person who have lost data because it was not embedded, this can be somewhat of a big deal.

Niels

I should have added one more thing: for those file types that allow saving of metadata into the file itself, ACDSee allows you to do that, meaning that you can easily rebuild the database if need be.

This is added in response to the system the Fern described which is essentially building a database of the information but without the ability to embed the data into the files themselves. As a person who have lost data because it was not embedded, this can be somewhat of a big deal.

Niels
Thank you very much Niels! I'll look at it more closely.

Depending on what the aim and your platform is, this simple solution might help: I usually make a spreadsheet with a column of hyperlinks (one to each file). Then you can add as many classifier columns as you want and use auto filter tools to show just the records you want. Additional hyperlink cols can be links to parts of the file path like containing folder. This is easy to implement with Microsoft Excel, but also free platforms like libre/open office (where you also have built in support for regular expressions). You can of course use tools like DOS, vb script etc to get a list of the full paths to the files which makes constructing the hyperlinks really easy
Thanks THE_FERN, I think right now this is the easiest and "fastest" solution to set up (at least I use this so far) thanks for the idea of ​​the hyperlinks!

Alternative, free and open source methods are explored here:

https://sound.stackexchange.com/questions/45188/how-can-i-add-metadata-on-audio-files

I've used ffmpeg for various things in the past (via simple scripting). The other node-based approach they mention would require JavaScript knowledge. Ultimately, of course, protecting your information will come down to backups.
I look at this immediately! Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back