• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finally, the ED astroscopes can compete with photographic leses. (4 Viewers)

Laroide

Spain
Hi everybody, I have been using ed astroscopes for 10 years. I love their image quality and low weight, but I was annoyed by how difficult was using them handheld and focussing efficiently. Now I have found the solution. In fact two different solutions. There are a couple of 360mm ed doublets from TS Optics and Tecnosky that use drawtubes to focus, and with a bit of practice and the correct camera you can nail focus with great speed, enabling you to make photos ot rapid moving birds anf birds in flight. It’s very important that the viewfinder of the camera have high resolution. I use Panasonic Lumix G9 an find it sufficiently detailed to nail focus. In the past I’ve used a Sony a7r2 but the viewfinder’s resolution wasn’t enough to focus correctly. Beside that, I can use te combo as a very useful telescope thanks again to the very large and detailed viewfinder of the Lumix and the fantastic image stabilisation. The total weight is 1600gr. I think very low for a 720mm f5.9 objective.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 13
  • EF57FA43-4FF5-43F5-B59B-A4260FDE6231.jpeg
    EF57FA43-4FF5-43F5-B59B-A4260FDE6231.jpeg
    254.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 53E5A79F-8E66-44CF-ADC0-7D7B19107806.jpeg
    53E5A79F-8E66-44CF-ADC0-7D7B19107806.jpeg
    978.5 KB · Views: 13
Hi everybody, I have been using ed astroscopes for 10 years. I love their image quality and low weight, but I was annoyed by how difficult was using them handheld and focussing efficiently. Now I have found the solution. In fact two different solutions. There are a couple of 360mm ed doublets from TS Optics and Tecnosky that use drawtubes to focus, and with a bit of practice and the correct camera you can nail focus with great speed, enabling you to make photos ot rapid moving birds anf birds in flight. It’s very important that the viewfinder of the camera have high resolution. I use Panasonic Lumix G9 an find it sufficiently detailed to nail focus. In the past I’ve used a Sony a7r2 but the viewfinder’s resolution wasn’t enough to focus correctly. Beside that, I can use te combo as a very useful telescope thanks again to the very large and detailed viewfinder of the Lumix and the fantastic image stabilisation. The total weight is 1600gr. I think very low for a 720mm f5.9 objective.
The other solution works with every scope with a 1.25” holder. You can attach an adapter and use it as a draw tube. This way you can focus very fast and accurately as soon as your camera has a high definition electronic viewfinder of at least 3.6 million dots.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    999.8 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back