• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finding cuckoos? (1 Viewer)

Had FANTASTIC views of a male flying by at Harthope Valley today :clap:

Crazy.....I don't see them for years and now I've had FIVE in the past fortnight!!! :'D Perhaps I'm just getting my 'eye' in on what jizz to look out for :loveme:

It's weird that, isn't, but so true. Once you get a new or unfamiliar bird your eye is in and you get a run of them. What I don't understand is why it then ends for no apparent reason. I've only had two peregrines and no Lesser Whitethroats in the last few weeks after great runs on both. And since getting to my 28th seen Cuckoo of the year in Scotland I've heard another seven but seen none of them. Perhaps each species behaviour changes subtly through the year in ways that make them more or less visible? Apart from the obvious changes in song, amount of foliage and migratory movements there could be more subtle differences in how wary they are, how they forage etc. Certainly subtle things like Chaffinch call notes change week to week through the year.

Graham

It's weird that, isn't, but so true. Once you get a new or unfamiliar bird your eye is in and you get a run of them. What I don't understand is why it then ends for no apparent reason. I've only had two peregrines and no Lesser Whitethroats in the last few weeks after great runs on both. And since getting to my 28th seen Cuckoo of the year in Scotland I've heard another seven but seen none of them. Perhaps each species behaviour changes subtly through the year in ways that make them more or less visible? Apart from the obvious changes in song, amount of foliage and migratory movements there could be more subtle differences in how wary they are, how they forage etc. Certainly subtle things like Chaffinch call notes change week to week through the year.

Graham

I find I tend to put less effort into looking for the less obtrusive birds once I've seen them a few times in a short period. You always get the occasional urge to re-see these birds, but sometimes just a call is enough for me. Means i can cover more ground, seeing more of a range of birds, or something.

Jason

There's always one in the car park that leads to the south bank of braydon Water in Great yarmouth, for anyone in Norfolk. Also Wheatfen (opposite bank of the river to Strumpshaw) appears to share the same cuckoo as strumpshaw.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back