• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fireworks freak birds out! (1 Viewer)

deborah4

Is it just my own town?? Fireworks used to happen once a year and occassionaly at festival events but now they seem to be available all year round, especially during the summer. Last year, nearly every weekend and many week nights party revellers let off fireworks. As I type, rockets have gone up in the neighbourhood (it's 40 mins past midnight here!) and the gulls have been driven into a frenzy. We have birds still nesting in the trees here, recently fledged youngsters and many juvenile gulls on the rooftops - WHY don't people think about the wildlife they disturb!! :storm:

sad to hear that . I have to say that in my neck of the woods that i hear the constant drone and whine of landscaping machines- leaf blowers , lawn mowers ect. - And i can only think of how hard it must be for migrating male singers to get there songs over all the noise. I guess alot of people just dont get it . Sad and frustrating . I hope it calms down for your feathered friends.

I am not at all sure of the details, but the law in the UK changed recently so that it is now illegal to let off fireworks after certain times without permission being first given, by, I think, the local authority.

As for birds, I don't think that they are that bothered by noise: farmers spend fortunes on bird-scarers which have only a rather limited effectiveness. Birds soon learn to ignore them.

Oh, I see. Now we have to consider birds as well as neighbours if we dare to enjoy ourselves with a little light entertainment? Get a grip, you seem like the PC Police coming to stop any fun anyone may dare to have

mamo

I remember being told of a party of 30 Waxwings,early afternoon on November 5th 2004,in a friends garden.I popped over the next day and although the Waxwings were gone,I found 4 dead ones lying underneath the tree,they had been on the previous day.There were no signs of being attacked by cats and I put it down to the shock from the fireworks,the night before.

mamo said:
Oh, I see. Now we have to consider birds as well as neighbours if we dare to enjoy ourselves with a little light entertainment? Get a grip, you seem like the PC Police coming to stop any fun anyone may dare to have

mamo

So you would enjoy neighbours setting off fireworks at 12.40am ? I think not.

Ben Nevis said:
I remember being told of a party of 30 Waxwings,early afternoon on November 5th 2004,in a friends garden.I popped over the next day and although the Waxwings were gone,I found 4 dead ones lying underneath the tree,they had been on the previous day.There were no signs of being attacked by cats and I put it down to the shock from the fireworks,the night before.

Vic the Vandal kindly treated all of his neighbours to an impromptu firework party well after midnight last Saturday. The snag is they were all the same - just a blinding flash followed by a series of deafening explosions.

On Sunday morning I discovered one of my previously healthy hen canaries dead on her nest and four eggs beneath her chilled, plus another nest which the hen had deserted, leaving the one newly-hatched chick to die of cold and the remaining three eggs to chill.

Was it the fireworks? I don't know for sure and never will but how I would love to stuff one of them up Vic's anal orifice, light the blue touch paper and send him to a better place!

Ben Nevis said:
So you would enjoy neighbours setting off fireworks at 12.40am ? I think not.
sorry to disappoint you, but i don't go around acting the killjoy to stop people enjoying theirselves. if they have an occasion to let off big bad fireworks, so be it, what upsets one doesen't upset all :t:

mamo

Since 2004, there has been a ban on releasing fireworks after 11pm, with exceptions for special celebration days including New Year.

If I had my way, they'd be banned 24/7, given the number of kids who get injured, domestic & wild animals that are scared whitless, and people whose peace & quiet is disturbed in their own home.

Call me a PC kill-joy if you like, but at least I'm not a selfish tw*t who puts my own enjoyment ahead of others.

Regards,
Misery-@rse Adrian

abagguley said:
Since 2004, there has been a ban on releasing fireworks after 11pm, with exceptions for special celebration days including New Year.

If I had my way, they'd be banned 24/7, given the number of kids who get injured, domestic & wild animals that are scared whitless, and people whose peace & quiet is disturbed in their own home.

Call me a PC kill-joy if you like, but at least I'm not a selfish tw*t who puts my own enjoyment ahead of others.

Regards,
Misery-@rse Adrian

Totally Agree.

Jon K. said:
Now what we do about those awful thunderstorms?!!!!

Jonny

Thunderstorms are a natural cause.Rockets,Bangers and Air Bomb Repeaters being let off in the early hours of the morning are not.

Ben Nevis said:
Thunderstorms are a natural cause.Rockets,Bangers and Air Bomb Repeaters being let off in the early hours of the morning are not.

As far as birds are concerned, does it matter whether the noise is natural or artificial? I still do not believe that it has that much of an effect on birds. Have you ever heard a bird scarer? They put the fear of God into me, but don't do pigeons or crows any harm at all.

The three main towns here, Margate, Broadstairs and Ramsgate all have firework displays every week for the summer season and it doesn't stop the Gulls and Pigeons doing so well some people regard them as pests(not me I might add).
I do sympathise with you though Deborah being plagued with antisocial people in your neighbourhood, my pet hate is the damn kids and their mini motos all over the place, jet skis don't do me a power of good either.

Mick

Pretty goofy to say the birds dont care ! - If you have been near an exploding m80 or a percusive firework even if you expect it, it is jolting to say the least. It would be hard to believe that the birds would know the source or intention of the explosion. Human arrogance!

David FG said:
I still do not believe that it has that much of an effect on birds. Have you ever heard a bird scarer?

Surely some will be scared, others not. I've got 2 dogs - one of them is terrified of fireworks, the other is completely oblivious. I should think the reaction of birds will be different from species to species, or possibly even between individuals.

Having just re-read my earlier post, I’ve noticed it could be construed that I was calling Mamo a tw*t. That wasn’t my intention Mamo, so apologies if you read it that way.

Adrian

abagguley said:
Surely some will be scared, others not. I've got 2 dogs - one of them is terrified of fireworks, the other is completely oblivious. I should think the reaction of birds will be different from species to species, or possibly even between individuals.

Having just re-read my earlier post, I’ve noticed it could be construed that I was calling Mamo a tw*t. That wasn’t my intention Mamo, so apologies if you read it that way.

Adrian
its quite alright, i didn't read it that way, but even if you had, you are entitled to your opinion like everybody else :t:

mamo

abagguley said:

Adrian

A twit, or a tw^t?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back