• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

first day (1 Viewer)

Aaron Rust

My first day birding... Male Northern Carninal, Downy Woodpecker, Blue Jay, Purple Martins, Starlings, Some small finch - I think common house finch, a whole flock of rusty blackbirds, morning dove, and a couple sparrows. Above me were a turkey bussard and a red tailed hawk. All in my yard/garden here in Andover Kansas. I was out for about 30 minutes. I am putting up some feeders and houses next.

Aaron

Last edited:
Aaron, Sounds like you had a great first day. Welcome to the club - but watch out it can be very addicting.

I can see... Early morning... hot coffee... the good book... Minox binos 8.5X42, watching the sun come up... birds singing. I set up to bird houses and a feeder today.

Got the bird feeder and houses up... within 48 hours - I had my first visitor... a male cardinal! A sign of good things to follow.
Aaron

Definitely is. Sometimes it takes weeks for the first visitor. So it might still be slow for a while, just have patience.

Things really got going this afternoon. Caralina Chickadee or black headed chickadee... not for sure. Would dart in get some food and dart out. Black bird came and totally relaxed but was eating a lot of food. I waved him off and as soon as I did the cardinal came back and the chickadee took turns for an hour. It was GREAT! My 7 year old girl was having as much fun as i was. I put it on the end of our deck only 15 feet from the house... but i have very large osage orange trees only 10 yards from the house. There was a blue jay hanging around in the trees. This is going to be fun.
Aaron

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back