• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First experiences with my new BL 8x42 BR (1 Viewer)

mark_s

My BL 8x42 BR binoculars arrived a few weeks ago so I've had a chance to try them out a bit now. I'm very much a novice when it comes to bins, however, I definitely feel very happy with these ones.

The bins rest well in your hands, the rubber shell has a good feel to it without being too "rubbery". The large focus wheel turns smoothly and allows for fast and straightforward focusing.

The eyecups also rotate and extend out very smoothly. I generally look through the bins whilst wearing spectacles, so I leave the eyecups retracted. The field of view whilst wearing specs and with the eyecups retracted is, as far as I can tell, pretty much the same as without specs and with the eyecups extended. So a definite thumbs-up from me as regards compatibility with spectacles!

Optical quality: nice clear and bright view even on dull and rainy days.

Apart from all that, they look cool too! |=)|

Contrasting starkly with the high-quality feel of the binoculars is the rather unsatisfactory case. It has a kind of neoprene interior with an imitation leather exterior; I'm looking forward to replacing it at the earliest opportunity - enough said! The neoprene strap for the bins (the case has no strap), however, is very comfortable.

This the new lightweight ones?
My partner bought a pair as her 12x50 Minolta porros were too big and heavy (Minox were 8x42 also).
I agree with all you say about them, infact I thought about getting a pair myself - but have a pair of 10x42 Bushnell natureview roofs so cant justify it. Seeing the Minox bins made my mind up when buying a scope - ended up with a Minox MD62W with 30xWW.
Excellent pair of bins, could suggest a Country Innovations fieldguide bag to put them in, my bushnells live in one quite tightly with rspb neoprene strap so there will be more then enough room for a pair of Minox bins - and extra room for a pad/pens/phone etc

Gramayr said:
This the new lightweight ones?
Yup they're the ones!
Gramayr said:
Seeing the Minox bins made my mind up when buying a scope - ended up with a Minox MD62W with 30xWW.
How are you getting along with it?
Gramayr said:
Excellent pair of bins, could suggest a Country Innovations fieldguide bag to put them in
Ah, thanks for the tip Rhys - now that sounds like a useful accessory. I found a Country Innovations website - I guess you mean the field pouch; or are you referring to the padded pouch or reporter bag?

mark_s said:
Yup they're the ones!

How are you getting along with it?

Ah, thanks for the tip Rhys - now that sounds like a useful accessory. I found a Country Innovations website - I guess you mean the field pouch; or are you referring to the padded pouch or reporter bag?
The padded pouch I meant to say - just the right size for a pair of bins. My natureviews are a tight fit with an rspb neoprene strap fitted but the Minox ones fit pretty well with the same strap (bigger than the one supplied)

paddedpo.jpg
btw the colins bird guide doesn't fit properly, you cant zip it up. lol

md60ed.jpg
The Minox scope isn't bad - I don't have much experience with scopes but I quite like this one after having a look through an Opticron GS665 to compare. I got a 30xWW lens with mine which is as good as the bins I'd say opticaly. If I could've afforded an ED scope I might not have gone for this but so far I've no complaints.

Last edited:
Gramayr said:
The padded pouch I meant to say - just the right size for a pair of bins. My natureviews are a tight fit with an rspb neoprene strap fitted but the Minox ones fit pretty well with the same strap (bigger than the one supplied)

I've just bought this padded pouch from Country Innovation and my Minox binoculars do indeed fit perfectly! Thanks for the tip!

mark_s said:
I've just bought this padded pouch from Country Innovation and my Minox binoculars do indeed fit perfectly! Thanks for the tip!

What was your objection to the Minox case? I thought the Minox-supplied case was actually pretty good - the interior fabric didn't scratch or overly wear the metal parts, the leatherette exterior actually looked and felt like leather, and the bin (a 7 x 42 BR) fit quite nicely. Admittedly, pretty minimalist (e.g., no room for field guides, maps etc) but light years nicer than the miserable case supplied with the 32 mm Nikon HG models.

chartwell99 said:
What was your objection to the Minox case? I thought the Minox-supplied case was actually pretty good - the interior fabric didn't scratch or overly wear the metal parts, the leatherette exterior actually looked and felt like leather, and the bin (a 7 x 42 BR) fit quite nicely. Admittedly, pretty minimalist (e.g., no room for field guides, maps etc) but light years nicer than the miserable case supplied with the 32 mm Nikon HG models.

I think the cases for the BR series actually are leather and are quite nice. I would expect the case for the BL to be cheaper since the binocular is almost half the price of the BR (at least in the UK).

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back