• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First spotting scope (1 Viewer)

Dougan,

The optical performance of most binoculars, even the best ones, is pretty abysmal when set in relation to the theoretically achievable (diffraction limit).
It's just that at their relatively low magnifications, many of these defects would not be apparent to experienced observers with good eyesight.

A scope though is going to be used at much higher magnifications relative to its objective size and sample variation can sometimes be seen at the highest magnification. Poor specimens from the top manufacturers in the €3000 category are not unknown.

I see no mention of ED (low dispersion) glass in the specification of the Hawke scope, so I think it would show chromatic aberration and the results above 20-30x would probably be disappointing. Unfortunately, if you want to ID waders at >500 m, you need something big and good and would have to factor in the price of tripod and head. The used market might be the best option.

John

i can recommend the hawke ed, i got the older 20-60x 85mm two weeks ago, and im very impressed

pros

light weight (my opinion im a joiner so used to heavy objects)
very nice image
the dual focus is nice (never liked my previous scopes focusing nikon ed and swarovski)
feels solid
target finder on pull out hood very useful

cons

think the eyepiece could be better slight blurring at the edges but im looking to replace it but what??
the stay on case is ok but fiddley looking at adapting it!!!

mine was used but still boxed and unmarked its was £299 but did a deal with the shop for some unused camera lenses so for £70 i got a hawke ed 85mm fibre glass tripod manfrotto head and a canon 40mm lense

the newer hawke ed 85mm is around £649

Used is the best bet to maximise value for money, and I agree with what others have already stated, ideally for the distances you are hoping to use the scope, a scope with a zoom lens and a large ED glass objective element is the best bet.
Used Hawke Endurance ED 85mm Angled Spotting Scope with Zoom 25-75x Eyepiece 56203 - Although this has a bad scratch on the front element, it may not actually be visible in use, alternatively Hawke have a good CS department, and they may be able to replace the glass for a small fee.

Used is the best bet to maximise value for money, and I agree with what others have already stated, ideally for the distances you are hoping to use the scope, a scope with a zoom lens and a large ED glass objective element is the best bet.
Used Hawke Endurance ED 85mm Angled Spotting Scope with Zoom 25-75x Eyepiece 56203 - Although this has a bad scratch on the front element, it may not actually be visible in use, alternatively Hawke have a good CS department, and they may be able to replace the glass for a small fee.
hawke have a no fault guarantee HAWKE UK | Hawke Service Procedure so it would only cost to send it in, and harrisons cameras is where i get my photography gear from so there good, i think its a great price as its the newer version with the 25-75x zoom and it has the small hole on the foot plate

Thanks for the link, definitely a great buy, not sure I could live with that scratch though!

Hi,

the no fault warranty applies to the original owner only, so it won't work for the used 85mm ED with the scratch. As for whether they would be willing to change the front element as a paid job and what will be the quote for that, I don't know.
I am also quite sure that this scratch will not lead to visible degradation of the image, especially not during daylight.

As for the 68mm version - yes, the difference between 75x and 48x quite noticeable, especially when you are watching small birds over long distances... the question is of course, whether the 85mm example is good enough to actually deliver a crisp image at 75x.

But Harrison Camera offers 14 days money back... so you have pay return postage maybe if it isn't so great (and I'm not talking about the scratch but about sample variation in spotting scopes which unfortunately does also happen for alpha brands costing an order of magnitude more).

Regardless of what scope you buy, make an artificial star and star-test the scope right away so you can send it back if it is a lemon.

Joachim, who has seen too many lemons...

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back