• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Five days birding trip in Extremadura (2 Viewers)

Hi to all.
Towards the end of April I will go to northern Extremadura for 5 days. The (incomplete) program includes:
Day 1 (half day): Arrocampo;
day 2: steppes between Trujillo, Santa Marta, Caceres and Monroy;
Day 3: Monfrague;
Day 4: Villuercas ??? / Tajo Internacional ???
Day 5 (half day): Canchos de Ramiro ???

In your experience, how can I plan the last day and a half?

Cheers.

Andrea

Sorry for the delay!
Although I left Spain some years ago, I always follow the news about birding.
The first 3 days are totally OK, you can find the details of hotspots in many guides and on the web
(I recommend the Crossbill guide of Extremadura).
Villuercas has a lot to offer, but misses really hot-hotspots.
I should go tho the top, pico la Villuerca (1601m), with good chance on Rufous-tailed Rock Thrush, Blue Roch Thrush and other
top species.
In that area is a very interesting zone the valley of the Almond river, between Retamosa and the nice pueblo of Cabanas del Castillo.

I do'nt know the Tajo International and Cancho de Ramiro environment very well.
But if possible you should visit La Serena, not quite the North of Extremadura, but the steppes between
roughly said Campanario and Cabeza del Buey are super!

All the best and good luck!

You can do half day in Trujillo and farms around it, full day for the steppes, probably add half day to Arrocampo, if you go to the hides that are further out and surrounding areas and another half day in Monfrague.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back