• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flycatchers in West Tonkin (1 Viewer)

nrg800

Nathan Ruser
IDing birds here without a photo is a pain. I am sorry.

I was doing some trekking in North West Vietnam and I would just like some help with the LBJs that I could take notes on and not identify. One of them I mainly would like to ask about because it looked like a female Daurian Redstart (apparently only recorded in W Tonkin (Robson, 2005))

1: Bản Hồ, Sa Pa, Lao Cai, Vietnam
Loosely associating with Eurasian Tree Sparrows. Uniform Brown with white-wing bar, wing-bar large and distinctive. Undertail Covets and tail (not sure about the rump, but I think so) were a more orangey-brown. Size similar (slightly smaller?) than the tree sparrows. Body Structure looked like that of Asian Brown Flycatcher, but the posture was more reminiscent of Rubythroat (Holding tail up, while observed). Seen for roughly 30sec at a distance of about 5m without binoculars (eating breakfast). On inspection of field guide looked like female Daurian Redstart.

2: Bản Hồ, Sa Pa, Lao Cai, Vietnam
On powerline above rice paddy. Uniform Brown, distinctive white chine patch, orange/buffy undertail. Brown very slightly darker on cheeks and forehead. Begging of eyebrows seemed to be moulting into white. Wings not mottled but also not uniform, undertail darker than uppertail. On field guide inspection looked to be a Female non-breeding (juvenile?) Grey Bushchat.

Thank you very much for any help that you can provide. Sorry I didn't have photos; school trip so no DSLR.

~Nathan Ruser

Hi Nathan,

difficult to give a definite answer on the descriptions only, but at the first glance I don't find any clear reason against your IDs.

Grey Bushchat in that area on a exposed perch makes sense.
Daurian Redstart should be possible in Sapa, I think there have been more records since. I wonder a bit about the association with Sparrows, but could be coincidence as well...

Florian

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back