• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Forum too popular? (1 Viewer)

Not quite sure how the splitting the forum would work, but since at least a good number of forum members travel widely in the world, I really don't see the point - had the original poster put their i.d. question in a part of the forum intended for American eyes, for example, then I'd say there would be even less chance it receives an answer.

As for splitting into basic and advanced, then I assume many 'more advanced' members would not bother reading the basic section, again depriving up and coming birders with help.

Another vote for leaving it as it is, warts and all.

But maybe a forum dump section where we can plonk certain characters such as the resident Indian guru of industrial gloom, members with an over-enthusiastic tendency to litter every thread with anti-dog jabs and, naturally, sparrow-twister Mr Bell?

I can understand the reasons for splitting, but I would be in favor of leaving it as it currently is. Looking back through my own identification threads, in all but one case, people from countries other than the country in question commented, often with good ID tips. I would think that if the ID forum were split geographically, fewer of this sort of comment would be made.

I think there is definitely scope to split the forum, suggestions could be:

The "My unlimited budget for camera equipment doesn't run to a bird book", sub-forum.

The "Clutching at straws this is actually something rare", sub-forum.

The "Funny looking duck", sub-forum.

All things considered i'd say keep it as it is but if there were to be a change you've hit the nail on the head with those suggestions.

I think there is definitely scope to split the forum, suggestions could be:

The "My unlimited budget for camera equipment doesn't run to a bird book", sub-forum.

The "Clutching at straws this is actually something rare", sub-forum.

I think you are being a little cynical, if not elitist. I am sure that I am not the only birder who is not an expert, is vacationing in area with unfamiliar birds, and cannot carry Howell & Webb wherever I go. In the old days, everyone took field notes, but technology has advanced to where we can now take reasonable photos of birds which can be analysed later. Even with the best field guide, i.d. sometimes cannot be made if you are not familiar with the bird in question, hence the wonderful ability to be able to ask questions of a world-wide knowledge base such as this.
And yes, many of us are looking for an unusual i.d. After all, that’s why most of us keep lists.
I agree totally with a separate “funny duck” sub-forum.

Tony

Thank you. That's a real pet peeve of mine but not only for IDing. Short meaningless thread titles . . . those threads should also be deleted. It's just lazy.

The problem with that is that such titles--particularly in the ID forum where there's an actual rule on the subject--are often by newcomers who aren't necessarily lazy but just don't know the ropes. And anyway what really gets my goat are thread titles with misspellings, sometimes multiple misspellings! Talk about lazy!! I'd delete those in a blink!!!

[Easy there, fugl, easy there, dial it down a bit, dial it downnn. . .you know what happens when you get excited like this. . ..]

I think there is definitely scope to split the forum, suggestions
. . . .

Marginalize "Funny duck" questions by shunting them into some obscure little sub-forum? Never! They're among my favorites. And they're so easy, most being correctly answerable without even opening the thread.

Yeah leave it, it works fine....[...]
Totally agree. No reason not to bump a unanswered thread. And as mentioned before some birds are not to ID based on poor documentation (photo). Often it would help to hear the voice in this cases...
And as Valery said, I also try to help everyone but if I don´t know I don´t write "Sorry, I can´t help" in the thread.
Does it help anyone if everyone who´s reading the threads and can´t ID the bird in question to post this? Very unlikely.

Last edited:
I have never had a problem here with the traffic, and I think the forum being busy just means that there's so many more people looking that might have the answer you're looking for.

I'm constantly amazed at the knowledge base in here and the willingness to help out. I've posted IDs from several different countries and there's always been someone willing to at least post a guess, so I really don't think there's a UK bias that is making things difficult.

I'd agree with those who've suggested the occasional bump if your thread wasn't answered. I'd also try to time your posts. I've found if I post New World birds late at night here, I'm less likely to get an answer because more of the people who have the direct knowledge are in bed. I've also found people more responsive to those who at least try to make a stab at identifying the bird first.

I definitely don't want to see the forum split, because as someone else said, you might lose some of the experts who might stick more to their own continent's forum.

Thanks again to those of you running this place. It's a tremendous resource!

I have never had a problem here with the traffic, and I think the forum being busy just means that there's so many more people looking that might have the answer you're looking for.

I'm constantly amazed at the knowledge base in here and the willingness to help out. I've posted IDs from several different countries and there's always been someone willing to at least post a guess, so I really don't think there's a UK bias that is making things difficult.

I'd agree with those who've suggested the occasional bump if your thread wasn't answered. I'd also try to time your posts. I've found if I post New World birds late at night here, I'm less likely to get an answer because more of the people who have the direct knowledge are in bed. I've also found people more responsive to those who at least try to make a stab at identifying the bird first.

I definitely don't want to see the forum split, because as someone else said, you might lose some of the experts who might stick more to their own continent's forum.

Thanks again to those of you running this place. It's a tremendous resource!

:t: :t: :t: :t: perfectly said!

I agree with Jim. Many people on here will have been to Mexico, and will know where Oaxaca is. Although there is absolutely nothing wrong with giving a precise location it can, at times, cause confusion. You often see Washington described as a 'state' or a 'city' on here when 'everyone' knows it's a town in Tyne and Wear. ;)

Chris

:-O

Leave it as it is and carry on bumping.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back