• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fowlsheugh Pics (1 Viewer)

Biscuitman

United Kingdom
The wife and I had a jaunt out on Wednesday down to Crawton and Fowlsheugh - her Fisherfolk ancestors fished out of Crawton so we combined our trip for Historical and Ornithological purposes. A beautiful day, with birds galore, as you'd expect at this time of the year. Anyway I thought I'd try out my new camera - nothing fancy just a Nikon B500 bridge camera. I've attached a few pics for your perusal and any constructive comments welcome - good or bad!

Attachments

• DSCN0075.JPG
    DSCN0075.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 19
  • DSCN0095.JPG
    DSCN0095.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 19
  • DSCN0114.JPG
    DSCN0114.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 19
  • DSCN0119.JPG
    DSCN0119.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 18
  • DSCN0125.JPG
    DSCN0125.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 18
  • DSCN0131.JPG
    DSCN0131.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 17
  • DSCN0133.JPG
    DSCN0133.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 18
No, certainly didn't see any Puffins - wife was a bit disappointed, but I thought it might just be a bit too early. Wife managed to get bitten by some nasty, so if you're succeptible keep your legs covered. Insects seem to love my Mrs!

A few more photos from last week's day out at Fowlsheugh. A handful of year ticks, including the Bonxie, but even better the overall experience of this beautiful seabird city.

Attachments

• DSCF3862.JPG
    DSCF3862.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 8
  • DSCF3847.JPG
    DSCF3847.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • DSCF3785.JPG
    DSCF3785.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • DSCF3786.JPG
    DSCF3786.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 5
  • DSCF3789.JPG
    DSCF3789.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 4
  • DSCF3806.JPG
    DSCF3806.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • DSCF3796.JPG
    DSCF3796.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
Had a good couple of hours at the cliffs, mixture of birds on eggs, some with very young chicks and some with well developed chicks. Good numbers of Kittiwakes amongst the heap of Razorbills and Guillemots, a few Fulmars and amongst the Guillemots quite a few of the Brindled ones.

Attachments

• BM1K2559.jpg
    BM1K2559.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 5
  • BM1K2597.jpg
    BM1K2597.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 7
  • BM1K2593.jpg
    BM1K2593.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 7
  • BM1K2540.jpg
    BM1K2540.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 8
  • BM1K2552.jpg
    BM1K2552.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 5
Some nice pictures there Burnie. Interesting word 'brindled' - had to look it up!! Must get back down there again soon.
LOL I didn't notice that before. Brindle is an animal colour usually a sort of mottled or streaked brown/back.

BM actually meant to put 'bridled', probably an autocorrect issue. It's referring to the white line coming from the eye of the Guillemot at the back.

Here you go Burnie: brindled

The 'bridle' reminded the namer of the tack a horse wears on his head I guess. But Brindle is definitely a colour.

Bridled is the correct term with regards Guillemots.

Took inspiration from Burnie and went to Fowlsheugh yesterday with the wife who wanted to see a Puffin. Alas she missed probably the only Puffin there, although I did see one come out of a burrow briefly and the head of his(?) mate who didn't quite venture out. Alas not even time for a photo.
Very busy especially at the cabin end where the Puffins were supposed to be.

The Puffins seem to be being dislodged by Razorbills, there are some in the big cave and a couple of burrows to the left hand side when looking north from the bench seat.

Attachments

• BM1K2561.jpg
    BM1K2561.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 3
Had an early trip up today in bright sunshine this time, everything seems a bit late, maybe it's me, but no sign of eggs yet and more birds sat on the sea than on the shore. Very few Razorbills present and zero Puffins seen. Good numbers of Rock Doves, Kittiwakes and Guillemots, a few Herring Gulls and Fulmars and a large number of seals hauled out on the small rock.
Copulating Kittiwakes and Razorbills "rammying"...................click on the flickr link to watch, there is sound too, but luckily no smelly vision....phew.

Sea bird colony. by tigerburnie, on Flickr

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back