• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Frame (1 Viewer)

steveps

Just a quick straw poll,
I see quite a few people who post their pics here frame them using PS/PSE (see my two of a blue tit).
Do you think they look better with (in) a frame, more professional looking, or with out?. ;)

Thanks
_______
steve

Attachments

• 0936Bt2jpg.jpg
    0936Bt2jpg.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 169
  • 0936BTJP.jpg
    0936BTJP.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
I think there is an art to adding frames and one or two member are very skillful at doing it. If not done well to complement the image it can make it look worse. I tend not to add a frame for that reason.

I think a frame can improve most photos if done well.

It is very unusual to see a picture on a wall without a frame. Given that the frame, in a lot if cases, can cost more than the picture, is seems that most people, therefore, think a frame is an essential enhnancement.

I'm not sure I would have used the same colour that you used for your frame unless you added some additional lines of a (darker) contrasting colour to it. It gets a bit lost as it is because of its similarity to the background colour of the photo.

When I put a frame round a photo I usually pic colours out of the bird or an object so I don't clash. I get it wrong sometimes, maybe all the time but I do like a frame round a photo it seems to finish it off.

I find that a frame can definitely add "something" to an image.

I've wondered for a while now why a frame has a positive effect on my appreciation, but although I can't put my finger on it, I'm another one who finds that a frame can "top off" a picture.

Plain, neutral colours work best to my eyes - white, light greys - and I agree that a wrong colour choice can really negate the benefit of the frame.

Last edited:
Strange. I've just realised that all my compressed files for the web don't have frames and yet everything I print off I put a frame around.

So, with a foot in both camps I prefer framed.

I would put frames on some shots but so far I haven't figured out how to do it in PS7 (I haven't had it very lng). Anyone feel like giving me a hint on where to start? I can't find anything about it in Help. :stuck:

Saphire said:
For this photo I would use something like the following.
I would agree with you Christine your frame looks much better than mine, I used the wrong colours. It was just a quick frame up as an example, but as it has already been said it has to be the right frame.

I have quite a few water colours by local artists and some of the frames that came with paintings left much to be desired, they just needed to be changed to suit the particular environment, Study,Lounge,Hallway. I think that if I was going to print out my pics to hang on the wall then they would be framed. Difficult choice for a Web Environment,the jury is still out on that one. ;)

Thanks for all the replys so far, I really appreciate it.

For a stronger effect, I selected two colours from the photo itself, using the eye-dropper, to use in the frame. There are endless possibilities. It would probably be impossible to design a frame that would appeal to everybody, but it would certainly be possible to make one that no-one liked if a little care and thought were not taken.

Attachments

• 0936Bt2jpg.jpg
    0936Bt2jpg.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 159
John that looks good. I had a go with the darker colours but don't have a frame with the double line so it made it look to heavy. It looks better with the break of the second line.
Sorry my hubby is still logged in.

Christine

I always frame my photos no matter how discretely because I do not think a photo looks finished without one. Presentation is all important in making an impression and like with many paintings an effective frame can really bring out the beauty in a photo.

Christine,

What I used is not a standard frame, but one that I constructed "manually" in Paint Shop Pro and stored as a macro. When the macro is run it adds the frame to the photo in black-and-white. I can then use the Flood-fill tool to change the black and white lines to whatever colours suit the photo. I'm sure a similar thing could be done with any of the popular photo-editing software applications.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back