• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

French Alps 7 April (1 Viewer)

Richard Prior

Halfway up an Alp
Europe
Good job I'm old enough not to worry about looking an idiot - washing up this evening and looking out of the window (as you do..) and there atop a tree about 75m away is - well I thought, that's not right for a Mistle Thrush, the underparts strongly lit by the setting sun so looking almost white to the naked eye. Brief look through the bins show me a falcon shaped bird with grey upperparts(!) so as I unpacked the camera (I know, never pack it away till it's REALLY dark) my wife had a look at it. Naturally it flew off as she was looking and it landed on top of another tree way off. I fired off three shots before it flew behind the tree and out of sight, but only the attached one is vaguely in focus. The size, shape and upperparts suggest male Merlin to me, but I'm not sure the image is good enough to tell, what does the team think?

Attachments

• Falcon sp.jpg
    Falcon sp.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 79
Hello Richard,

my gut feeling is a male Merlin too. Did you or your wife saw it flying?
Two options needs to be eliminated, I think:
  • unpossible to identify with confidence. I can understand, when someone says this and its probably a good choice here.
  • Sparrowhawk. Compact jizz looks better for a Merlin, and tail should project further below the wing-tip.

But I dont know, if I am biased by your text. But I must admit, if I would read male Merlin below the picture, I wouldnt give it a second look.
But better wait for more comments.

Thanks Alexander, my wife saw it fly and said she thought it was a Kestrel, I said no it can’t be because it wasn’t reddish and she said yes it was reddish below. All very frustrating ! I just saw it dive off the top of the distant tree and away. The Sparrowhawks here never sit on top of trees ( the Goshawks would have them!).

I've taken the liberty of cropping and lightening the picture. No colour adjustment was employed. It looks like a Merlin, with its head turned back to the left but it's not as sharp as it might be. For what it's worth, then.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 32
I’ve seen Merlin atop conifers in residential Portland Oregon USA, too short tailed for Kestrel, screams Male Merlin for me.👍

Thanks All , I will submit the observation to the LPO, Merlin is easier around here in autumn but in 15 years I have seen 3 spring birds, all between 22 March and 4 April so the date is good ( which is more than can be said for my photos!).

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back