• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

French Pyrenees (1 Viewer)

davethebird

We had a mixed birding and general family holiday in France that took in a few good birding areas. This report gives the outline of the part of the holiday in the French Pyrenees. The photos from the trip are on my Flickr site.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davethebird/collections/72157627161084766/

We set off on 22/06/11 on the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander in northern Spain. The crossing was rough on the first afternoon so the only sea watching came the next morning and then only brought 4 Cory’s Shearwaters at about 06:15. From Santander we drove into France with an overnight stop near Pau.

The route we took from Pau ran through Lourdes, Luz-Saint-Sauveur, Barreges and up to the Col du Tourmalet. Our first day birding (24th June) was at the Col du Tourmalet which is probably the easiest place to see Snowfinch in the French Pyrenees.

The route appears to have changed since the map was drawn as the original route followed by the Tour de France is now only open to cyclists (it is blocked just after the Jardin Botanique du Tourmalet) but the former minor route from the very large car park is now a decent road, if slightly lacking in signposts. Park in either car park near the statue of a cyclist that marks the highest point. The Snowfinches gave themselves up very easily near the east car park and posed well for photos.

Having scoured Birdforum for info on Alpine Accentor I knew that we stood a chance up the track from the Col du Tourmalet to the Pic du Midi. We did get some views but they were not as obliging as the Snowfinch.

Walking back to the car park we chanced on an adult Golden Eagle perched fairly close to the track. This bird was obviously used to the crowds of people at the Col and allowed us to approach fairly closely and get some good shots.

We left the Col du Tourmalet for the Parc National des Pyrenees. Here we stayed at the Auberge de la Munia in Heas. As there are only 3 or 4 other buildings in Heas there is great peace and perfect surroundings here. Hurrah for the internet! Patrick was the perfect host and a great cook.

Our first full day (25th June) was spent in the Parc at the Cirque de Troumouse. Arriving early we had good views of Izard (Pyrenean Chamois) and Marmot, both species disappeared quickly as a few other people arrived. We were hoping for Wallcreeper but had underestimated the vast scale of the cliffs here and our search was in vain. A telescope was necessary to spot a Lammergeir and Egyptian Vulture along the ridges. Chough, Alpine Chough and Raven were obvious as were singing Water Pipits. The only bunting we saw was Yellowhammer.

Our second day was spent walking by the Lac des Gloriettes but peak temperatures of 32C curtailed our ambitions somewhat. There were plenty of butterflies and orchids but birds were limited, including Black Redstart, Alpine Chough,and Northern Wheatear. The car park gave us Garden Warbler and a singing male Serin.

The third day was spent walking up to the Cirque de Gavarnie and again it was very hot and the walls of the cirque were huge. The Alpine Chough round the Hotelerie de Cirque were quite confiding but few other birds were of note on the walk. There was a small colony of Crag Martins round a large hotel next to the car park in Gavarnie.

We had hoped to get to the car park above the ski station but were too worn out by the heat and hike.

We described our quest for Wallcreeper to a French couple who described a “bird like a butterfly” directly behind our hotel on a rock face near a waterfall. Unfortunately, we did not have time to investigate further but that just gives us an excuse to return.

We then moved up to the Dordogne where our emphasis was on historical and archaeological sites.

We finished up in and around la Brenne. It was a bit late in the season for passerines but was still a good chance to catch up with old friends and some regular species such as Purple Heron, Whiskered Tern, Black-winged Stilt and Bee-eater.

The back through the tunnel and home.

Fantastic photos :t: I've birded Gavarnie and surrounding areas in late summer, Autumn and Spring but never when stuff like Snowfinch feeding young. They look smashing in winter plumage but the one in your photos is very smart! The Lamergeiers can show very well there, I've had a pair dropping big bones for about an hour and stooping and landing where the bones landed, sometimes very close.

Did you note the races of your Black Redstarts? In Spring when they were everywhere (literally 'flocking' with 30 or 40 on some grassy areas) most were normal continental birds (ochruros I assume), but at least two males seemed to be aterrimus, the Iberian form, jet black above and below with striking white wing panels and an obvious limited pale grey skullcap. Likewise both races of Ring Ouzel were present

Enjoyed reading your report...makes me want to go back again!

Jan

Likewise,I think you dropped lucky with the Snowfinches. I had presumed they retired to very high ground in summer. Even higher ground than where you were at.

Great photos too, especially love the Firecrest and of course the Snowfinches.

Did you note the races of your Black Redstarts
? In Spring when they were everywhere (literally 'flocking' with 30 or 40 on some grassy areas) most were normal continental birds (ochruros I assume), but at least two males seemed to be aterrimus, the Iberian form, jet black above and below with striking white wing panels and an obvious limited pale grey skullcap. Likewise both races of Ring Ouzel were present

Enjoyed reading your report...makes me want to go back again!

Jan

All the Black Redstarts I saw appeared to be the noinate ochurus. I didn't manage to see any Ring Ousel although I heard one singing one evening.

My planning was a bit awry and many of the passerines were quietly feeding young and keeping a low profile. I didn't manage any trips to very high levels in the Heas/Gavarnie area because I ran out of time. I want to go back again and for longer this time. :t:

Thanks for your comments on the photos.

Likewise,I think you dropped lucky with the Snowfinches. I had presumed they retired to very high ground in summer. Even higher ground than where you were at.

Great photos too, especially love the Firecrest and of course the Snowfinches.

I certainly felt lucky when the first Snowfinch appeared within seconds of us parking. :t:

Apparently the Snowfinches are annual breeders in the ski lift pylons and can often be seen round the car parks at the Col du Tourmalet but you have to get to the very highest point on the route. One of the easiest lifers I have been for. It is possible they move higher when the young are fully fledged so we may have just caught them.

Glad you liked the photos, the juvenile firecrests threw me for a moment in the dappled light.

There are sooooo many places and sites to visit here - you barely scratched the surface!!

Snowfinch can be difficult later in summer but the Tourmalet makes life very easy in spring.

Next time you're in the area come and find me in 'Restaurant Chez Christine', Luz St Sauveur....

There are sooooo many places and sites to visit here - you barely scratched the surface!!

Snowfinch can be difficult later in summer but the Tourmalet makes life very easy in spring.

Next time you're in the area come and find me in 'Restaurant Chez Christine', Luz St Sauveur....

If I remember right it was your tip about the Alpine Accentor that got me another lifer. Cheers! B :)

btw My trip was hampered a bit by the cracked windscreen I picked up at 06:15 on a near deserted road in Norfolk as we set off to the ferry. The first day of direct sun and 32C ambient temperature and the one inch crack became 2 x 15inch cracks that were exploring new areas each day. I became paranoid about trying to leave the car in shade.

Last edited:
Know what you mean about Col du Tourmalet and Snowfinches.
Stayed overnight in the campervan last August and was feeding
Snowfinch bread in the morning! Fantastic views, just feet away, a few
Water Pipits around too.

Update on snowfinch

Hi

I am in Luz St Saveur at the moment and was wondering if the information you posted last year regarding snowfinch etc was still valid. I am here for 5 days and would appreciate your advice. Thanks

Hi

I am in Luz St Saveur at the moment and was wondering if the information you posted last year regarding snowfinch etc was still valid. I am here for 5 days and would appreciate your advice. Thanks

Yep still there! Pm'd you.

Come and find me in chez christine restaurant. Open friday sat and sunday at the moment.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back