• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Friends of Red Kites - in the North East of England (16 Viewers)

Weardale group visit Nine Arches Viaduct

Following a Presentation by Judy Summerson, one of our Talks Team, a Weardale group met on Nine Arches viaduct to witness the Winter Roost.

I've been reading through posts from 2003 and 2004 about our kites. There were some very interesting debates going on with several people against the re introduction of Kites in Gateshead thank God they were not listened to ((they were all from out of the area I might add)

One very interesting comment from 2004 talking about where the best places to see the Kites and roosts stated

"Why don't you try late afternoon, say 4..ish? (for the roost, that is).
I'm off on a kite walk tomorrow, hopefully to see them roost. Apparently, up to 200 birds can be seen in the more favored roost sites."

I wish!!!!!!

Attachments

• Pres_Viaduct_39_JS.jpg
    Pres_Viaduct_39_JS.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 61
It looks like the main roost has moved away from the viaduct and headed West although a number are still pre-roosting at Hollinside Manor. They seem to be going further West than Far Pasture as I went to that location yesterday and Kites were still heading away further West so they could even head off in another direction after that.

It looks like the main roost has moved away from the viaduct and headed West although a number are still pre-roosting at Hollinside Manor. They seem to be going further West than Far Pasture as I went to that location yesterday and Kites were still heading away further West so they could even head off in another direction after that.

Mick I've not been able to get out recently but hope to again soon so will check out the area's you have mentioned. where were you watching them from past far pastures?

Mick I've not been able to get out recently but hope to again soon so will check out the area's you have mentioned. where were you watching them from past far pastures?

I was next to the sewage works and they flew straight past. The time before I went to the viaduct and 9 Kites were on the pylon at Hollinside. 8 headed past the monument at Gibside and a single kite headed in the opposite direction.

I might go out sometime between Friday and Sunday if the weather is fine, by that I mean a bit of blue sky.

Roost Watch

Planning a similar thing myself Mick hoping to get out sometime between Thursday and Saturday but the forecast isn't good I may try the viaduct along from Gibside.

Last Days Of 2014

One of our keen birdwatchers and photographers, Iain Clyne, sent in these two images recently.

Our kites appear to be gathering in not one, but two places to roost. They often seem to take time before deciding on their permanent site.

Attachments

• Kite_ Iain Clyne_66.jpg
    Kite_ Iain Clyne_66.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Kite-Iain Clyne - 70.jpg
    Kite-Iain Clyne - 70.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 54

One of our keen birdwatchers and photographers, Iain Clyne, sent in these two images recently.

Our kites appear to be gathering in not one, but two places to roost. They often seem to take time before deciding on their permanent site.

I was at Victoria Garesfield this evening and counted 10 Red Kites, the only positive ID I could make was H2. The Kites came to the area in 1's or 2's then all left and returned 10 or 15 minutes later. They were all gathering in a tree or two and came out when a Common Buzzard get too close.

KItes

Couple of pictures from today These kites seem to be establishing territory calling to each other and interacting. One of the pictures seems to show one of the kites carrying something in it's feet cannot make out what though.

Attachments

• kite3.jpg
    kite3.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 79
  • Kite ball_1.jpg
    Kite ball_1.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 66
  • Kite12_1.jpg
    Kite12_1.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 71
Our Kites look well

Lovely images, Paul. May save one for the Newsletter. Interesting one of the kite with what looks to be a ball-like object in its talons. Why might it be picking up something at this time of the year?

Couple of pictures from today These kites seem to be establishing territory calling to each other and interacting. One of the pictures seems to show one of the kites carrying something in it's feet cannot make out what though.

Here is the Wing Tag chart showing that our chicks will carry pink and green tags this year.

Attachments

• 2015 WingTag UK colours_FoRK.JPG
    2015 WingTag UK colours_FoRK.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 56
Lovely images, Paul. May save one for the Newsletter. Interesting one of the kite with what looks to be a ball-like object in its talons. Why might it be picking up something at this time of the year?

Here is the Wing Tag chart showing that our chicks will carry pink and green tags this year.

June this was a male bird the first picture is Swift one of our females I think they are getting together to establish territory. Swift has been known to nest in the area with an untagged bird (possibly the one shown carrying the object) It is possibly an early gift to Swift? only a guess though.

I wonder if the 2nd Kite is carrying a dead animal? The rounded part to the right could be the back end on an animal, the other end looks vole head shaped and it seems to have a light coloured area which could be an eye.

Kites Today

Some pictures from today Wing tags A2 and 6. 6 has now been around for ten years

Attachments

• 6_1.jpg
    6_1.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 62
  • kite3_1.jpg
    kite3_1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 66
  • kite_3.jpg
    kite_3.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 68
  • grass kite.jpg
    grass kite.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 69
Another sighting of a Red Kite on teeside, 3 days after a bird was seen flying over Newport Bridge, 1 or possibly the same bird was seen flying towards Guisborough.
Again not seen by myself but posted on TMBC.

Damian

Another sighting of a Red Kite on teeside, 3 days after a bird was seen flying over Newport Bridge, 1 or possibly the same bird was seen flying towards Guisborough.
Again not seen by myself but posted on TMBC.

Damian

Thanks again Damian keep them coming :t:

Pictures

Some more from yesterday

Attachments

• kite7.jpg
    kite7.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 60
  • kite10.jpg
    kite10.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 68
  • kite11.1.jpg
    kite11.1.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 71
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back