• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Friends of Red Kites - in the North East of England (1 Viewer)

Looking like my fears were justified after all :-C :-C :-C

The article I linked to says "close to a grouse moor near Edmundbyers." My understanding is that the dead bird couldn't have been any closer to a grouse moor. From the description I was given for the location I think it was found where I've marked the map with a blue cross but I can't say it is that location for certain.

Attachments

• dead kite location.JPG
    dead kite location.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 74
Interesting report John. We also have to remember the Italian and Spanish Governments want to do something about the problems and they are on the side of wildlife whereas ours......

Our govenment won't do a thing about it until at least one — and probably several — people have died from it. And it'll have to be 'prominent' people (i.e., wealthy tory voters).

Our govenment won't do a thing about it until at least one — and probably several — people have died from it. And it'll have to be 'prominent' people (i.e., wealthy tory voters).

The current government still wouldn't do anything other than find excuses. We're talking about the same government who would re-introduce fox hunting if they thought that they could get away with it.

The current government still wouldn't do anything other than find excuses. We're talking about the same government who would re-introduce fox hunting if they thought that they could get away with it.

Not to mention continuing with the badger cull when all scientific evidence states it is not the most effective way of dealing with the TB issues. On a lighter note here are some of my latest pictures

Attachments

• kite3_1.jpg
    kite3_1.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_3250_1.jpg
    IMG_3250_1.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Red kite 1.jpg
    Red kite 1.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 170
  • Kite 3.jpg
    Kite 3.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 127
Not to mention continuing with the badger cull when all scientific evidence states it is not the most effective way of dealing with the TB issues. On a lighter note here are some of my latest pictures

some lovely photos.

I've been watching Red Kites for years when my grandad took me out when I was 13 years old. 9 arches is still probably my favourite place to see them but getting photos of them with my camera is a nightmare :(

Had a fantastic day up at the bus stop in Rowlands Gill. It was amazing! just before 3pm, 25-30 kites in the sky at the same time. Haven't seen anything like for years.

Had a fantastic day up at the bus stop in Rowlands Gill. It was amazing! just before 3pm, 25-30 kites in the sky at the same time. Haven't seen anything like for years.
There must be a lot worse ways of filling in your time while waiting for a bus Dan.Red Kites around here do not seem so obliging they seem to prefer cold,windy moor edges but we never tire of these magnificent birds.
We had read about this bus stop where you see kites but it is a little off route for us when passing through.

There must be a lot worse ways of filling in your time while waiting for a bus Dan.Red Kites around here do not seem so obliging they seem to prefer cold,windy moor edges but we never tire of these magnificent birds.
We had read about this bus stop where you see kites but it is a little off route for us when passing through.

I take the car up Pete just to watch them. Absolutely amazing especially in spring when you see plenty of sky dancing going. Well worth a look if you have a chance.

What I find odd is that - despite frequent checking this year - I've not once yet seen a Kite from the north bank of the Tyne between Elswick and Scotswood. Some aversion to their getting down there? Too much hassle from mobbing gulls from the Vickers gull colony?

I take the car up Pete just to watch them. Absolutely amazing especially in spring when you see plenty of sky dancing going. Well worth a look if you have a chance.
We keep meaning to drop in on the way back from our trips to Northumberland we just seem to run out of time.

Hi Dan was this the bus stop at Sherburn Towers? This is interesting information as the main roost tends to be at Nine Arches but that would be at 3.30 ish so it looks like a pre roost. Friends of Red Kites (myself included) often do roost watches in the area. We are taking part in a national roost count this weekend (weather permitting) We are getting about 30-40 kites coming into roost at nine arches at the moment so your figures are impressive.:t:

What I find odd is that - despite frequent checking this year - I've not once yet seen a Kite from the north bank of the Tyne between Elswick and Scotswood. Some aversion to their getting down there? Too much hassle from mobbing gulls from the Vickers gull colony?

They are still not spreading much from their core area along the Derwent valley I am surprised myself that more are not seen in the area you have mentioned it's only a little jump across the river. We rarely get them in Durham either which is also surprising.

A friend and I were birding in Hartlepool, Cleveland yesterday, we had 2 Red Kite fly over us in a westerly direction , couldn't see any wing tags on the first bird and definitely none on the second, quite a rare bird for Cleveland in spite of the Gateshead introductions.

A friend and I were birding in Hartlepool, Cleveland yesterday, we had 2 Red Kite fly over us in a westerly direction , couldn't see any wing tags on the first bird and definitely none on the second, quite a rare bird for Cleveland in spite of the Gateshead introductions.

Thanks for this Keith I had seen this on twitter so it has been added to the Friends of Red Kites database of sightings. there was another sighting of a single kite over Wynyard on the same day. It could have been one of your pair. As you say it is a rare sighting for Cleveland.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back