• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From the sketchbook... (5 Viewers)

Have finally begun work on the Black-throated Divers. Canvas is on the large side, about 80cmX60cm.
This piece has been floating around in my head for a long time now and have given it a lot of thought. The original sketches of the divers appear earlier on the thread and I am staying pretty much 100% with them as far as the birds are concerned. Drew them out carefully onto A4 paper and then cut them out with a sharp blade, like to do this when deciding on final composition as it allows me to simply slide the birds around at will and adjust their position until i am happy with it.
Want the finished painting to have a strong sense of design. The idea of offsetting the natural curves of the birds against the reflected light on the waters surface interests me. Have decided to experiment with printed diamond patterns of light and have come up with the idea of using potatoes cut to various diamond based shapes to print the paint onto the canvas.
Early prep work photographed and attached below along with first test potato!(being irish I figure the potato should work well for me on a cultural as well as practical level;))
Dont normally like to use masking fluid but decided it would be useful for this piece. Dont want to get bogged down in too much detail really and hope the finished painting isnt overly fussy and has some strong repetitive design and colour....
Thats the theory, now you can all tune in and watch as I proceed to make a haines of the whole thing!

Attachments

• btd1.jpg
    btd1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 95
  • btd2.jpg
    btd2.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 97
  • btd3.jpg
    btd3.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 98
  • btd4.jpg
    btd4.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 84
  • spud.jpg
    spud.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 99
I see, all becomes clear about the potato now, it would seem that Primary School art wasn't a waste of time what with my wax crayons, tissue collage and now potato printing. Coming along great, but don't spend too much time planning, just go for it, get stuck in otherwise the nerves will kick in. (Or at least that's what happens to me) Really looking forward to this one, BT Divers will be my favourite bird once I see more than the one winter bird I found on a local boating lake.

Ah yes - I like the mixture of mediums - I'm sure you're going to pull this one off and have a bit of fun in the process.
Incidentally, I once did a similar thing with the cut-out birds - it was an Arctic Skua, I fully coloured it and I tacked it to the painting with a dab of acrylic. After I'd completed most of the background - I was so scared of not being able to recreate the original coloured 'mask' - that I just painted over it again. My one and only 'professional' collage.

...looking forward to seeing how the potato part comes out. I like the composition and can't wait to see this one progress.

Pototo not working with acrylics! No matter what I do i cant get a clean print with it on the canvas. the problem lies partly with the paint and partly with the give in the canvas surface...

As mentioned the printing did not go well and had to be shelved for this canvas. Wont give up on the idea though as I think it will suit watercolour/gouach on paper rather than acylic. May go straight on to that when I get this one completed..
Worked on the canvas with brushes after the dissapointment of realizing the printing was a non starter. Worked in the water fairly loosely, a long way to go on this one yet. Going to block the divers in and balance the water around them next. After that will be glazing transparent light blue/grey wash over the water to give it a more fluid look.
Feel I may well struggle with this one and am not completely sold on the green water surface, despite the fact the water reflected green in life.(pine trees reflected)
Comments most welcome. find it hard to see my own work objectively, particularily whilst in progress...

Attachments

• BTD.jpg
    BTD.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
As mentioned the printing did not go well and had to be shelved for this canvas. Wont give up on the idea though as I think it will suit watercolour/gouach on paper rather than acylic. May go straight on to that when I get this one completed..
Worked on the canvas with brushes after the dissapointment of realizing the printing was a non starter. Worked in the water fairly loosely, a long way to go on this one yet. Going to block the divers in and balance the water around them next. After that will be glazing transparent light blue/grey wash over the water to give it a more fluid look.
Feel I may well struggle with this one and am not completely sold on the green water surface, despite the fact the water reflected green in life.(pine trees reflected)
Comments most welcome. find it hard to see my own work objectively, particularily whilst in progress...

Hi Buzzard

Super paintings by the way :t:

Your most recent picture looks interesting as it reminds me of a negative photograph with a greeny/blue haze. Love to see the end result.

I like your potato idea too. I would like to see the results of that too.

Regards
Kathy

this is coming along a treat, IMO the water is done, don't do too much to it (if anything at all!) I'd be getting the birds in now and then balancing out the tones. Keep at it!

It's looking fine already Alan, the green works well for my money. Water takes on the most amazing colours and textures that almost nothing is beyond reality when it comes to representing it in 2 dimensions, (not that I've ever painted it successfully!).

Would it not be prudent to leave the water as is for the time being, work on the divers then reevaluate the need for the glazing? If, once the birds are more worked, you still feel that the water's not to your satisfaction maybe then tweak it?

As always, just my humble thoughts, you're obviously in the driving seat, and I'm looking forward to the final piece however it comes on.

Woody

Would it not be prudent to leave the water as is for the time being, work on the divers then reevaluate the need for the glazing? If, once the birds are more worked, you still feel that the water's not to your satisfaction maybe then tweak it?

Woody
aLMOST EXACTLY WHAT i WAS GOING TO SUGGEST - SO i SHAN'T BOTHER TYPING IT ALL AGAIN.
i THINK THIS IS GOING TO BE STUNNING - DON'T OVERWORK THE Diver - b*gger only just looked at my typing - sorry! Let's all have a peek when you've blocked the birds in - I'll bet they don't need much to make them really work.
Excellent piece.

It's looking fine already Alan, the green works well for my money. Water takes on the most amazing colours and textures that almost nothing is beyond reality when it comes to representing it in 2 dimensions, (not that I've ever painted it successfully!).

As always, just my humble thoughts, you're obviously in the driving seat, and I'm looking forward to the final piece however it comes on.

Woody

Rather sound advice Woody and many thanks for it....

Here as requested Tim is a peek. Knew the picture would change when the Divers were blocked in though was a little suprised by the impact. A lot of strong darks in these fabulous birds, coupled with their bold contrasting markings and lines, makes for really enjoyable painting.
Have to go to work shortly so this is a far as I will get for taday. Off tomorrow though happily, really looking forward to getting back to this. Will work on the water in the birds slipstream first to settle them into the water before adding the neck and back detail and then have another look at it.
Light fading already so photo of picture showing the water a little darker in tone than it is. Original earlier photo added is an accurate portrayal of tone...

Thanks again to you all for constuctive comments on the earlier post..

Attachments

• BTD.jpg
    BTD.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 94
  • BTD!.jpg
    BTD!.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Had forgotten just how much work a large canvas can be... Have spent the last four hours getting the shaded grey heads right on all five birds and the detail on these two here...
(time for a cuppa now, looks like will be working on this one all night...)

Attachments

• btda.jpg
    btda.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 90
  • btdb.jpg
    btdb.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 78
Some further detail of the other three, so to speak.

Flash photo, not great...

...pretty much at the crux point now. going to stop, get a meal together and think about where this needs to go.

Attachments

• btdc.jpg
    btdc.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back