• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From the sketchbook... (2 Viewers)

Still a way to go...

Caspian Tern 1 and 2, Oystercatchers and a Wood Sandpiper...

Attachments

• DSC_4477.jpg
    DSC_4477.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_4478.jpg
    DSC_4478.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_4479.jpg
    DSC_4479.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_4481.jpg
    DSC_4481.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Next up....

Wood Sand, Arent they cute, Spotted Sand juv, fresh plumaged and a vision, the quick sketch does it no justice, Common Tern juv.

Attachments

• DSC_4482.jpg
    DSC_4482.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_4484.jpg
    DSC_4484.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC_4486.jpg
    DSC_4486.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_4487.jpg
    DSC_4487.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Im most cases there are notes as to species invloved, a lot to get through still...

Caspian Tern, Common Gull juv, Common Tern Juv and Red Breasted Merganser female with the eye in the wrong place...

Attachments

• DSC_4490.jpg
    DSC_4490.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_4491.jpg
    DSC_4491.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_4493.jpg
    DSC_4493.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_4497.jpg
    DSC_4497.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Next pages...

R B Mrg female and some of her steadily growing brood as this female robbed other young, last three Temmincks mouse Stint. Neckless and tough to draw...

Attachments

• DSC_4498.jpg
    DSC_4498.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_4499.jpg
    DSC_4499.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_4500.jpg
    DSC_4500.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_4501.jpg
    DSC_4501.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
More...

Common Sand mouthing off, Comp of Terns in sittu, Common Gull juv intent on something and Common Tern...

Attachments

• DSC_4502.jpg
    DSC_4502.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_4503.jpg
    DSC_4503.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_4505.jpg
    DSC_4505.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_4506.jpg
    DSC_4506.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
finally, the last bar a couple of watercolours done in the field....

Common Terns first and last, middle Merganser young pedal boating....

Attachments

• DSC_4508.jpg
    DSC_4508.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC_4509.jpg
    DSC_4509.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_4510.jpg
    DSC_4510.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
So good to see Caspian Tern again. But not in Polska this time.

Temminck's is another.

Brave and special studies. You made good use of your time!

Spectacular! Too much of too high a quality to say anything more than that tonight. Tomorrow I'll be back for a slower look. I can see why you thought you were prolific. Really a pleasure to see each and every one.

Hällögarn Watercolurs

Two watercolurs done in the field on the island this week, Caspian Tern and Wood Sandpiper...

Attachments

• Hallogarn Caspian Tern Watercolour.jpg
    Hallogarn Caspian Tern Watercolour.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Wood Sandpiper Watercolour.jpg
    Wood Sandpiper Watercolour.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 57
OMG. I'm off for a week in Norfolk from tomorrow, if I can get even halfway near this amount and quality of work I'll be a very happy camper indeed.

Mike

OMG. I'm off for a week in Norfolk from tomorrow, if I can get even halfway near this amount and quality of work I'll be a very happy camper indeed.

Mike

If you can get up early and make 3-4 hours available each day, find a spot with lots of birds and just start drawing whatever drops in you might be surprised Mike, after a few days it builds up quickly...

One here I overlooked, more Goosanders...

Also have updated the blogs, both of them, with regard to the five days on the island. Sunsets galore, encounter with eight legged chekky chappys and Dragonflies...

Attachments

• Goosander 1.jpg
    Goosander 1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Jumping Spider 4.jpg
    Jumping Spider 4.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Day 2 sunset 1.jpg
    Day 2 sunset 1.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Dragonfly close up.jpg
    Dragonfly close up.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Well - I am absolutely gobsmacked!!! Honestly, I have no words to describe the brilliance of these and I shall try not.
(although I think you would have made a bit more of a fuss about one sp. in post 1063 ;) ;) )

What a pleasure to look at again when I have a bit more time. Your sureness and economy of line is astonishing. Someone should twist your arm into taking more drawing vacations. Out of this wealth of images I think the general lot of 1065 is my favorite, though it's hard to forget the exploding Greenshank.

What a selection, Alan! It seems you go through as many sketchbooks as I do. I can certainly appreciate that urgency to sketch everything on offer when visiting somewhere very different. Some to stuff on show here: my favourites are the 'curious' juv common gull (a very difficult posture you've well and truly nailed ) and the Comon Sand in voice (another difficult posture done very convincingly).

Hope there's more of this to come!

Russ

OMG Alan...I got so FAR behind on your thread and opening today is such a feast...I esp love the watercolors, spare and perfectly descriptive...the piper almost looks like a wood cut....I'll be back to spend more time with all the marvelous sketches..

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back