• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Frosterly/Bollihope (1 Viewer)

PaulCountyDurham

United Kingdom
Hi all,

At the weekend, I'm hoping to be in the right areas for dipper.

Is there a particular parking spot at Bollihope and following walk that is likely to pay off.

'Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

Probably too late and a little far away, but if you get to Bishop Auckland, go to the end of Watling Road, turn left and park somewhere on the Henknowle Housing Estate by the main bypass road. Cross the bypass and walk south along the winding River Gaunless. Walking along the river path there between the straightened river and the old railway bridge South/East of the fire station earlier this year, I've seen dippers, grey wagtail, kingfishers, sparrowhawk, all in the space of half an hour in the evening in that half mile. And the dippers and gery wagtail were not shy. Dippers took turns sitting on an old washing machine LOL. Easiest and longest viewing of both I've ever had.

Previous to that, I've seen dippers at the foot of the dam of Cow Green reservoir on the river, top of Cauldron Snout. Bit of a walk, but lots more to see on the fells.

Probably too late and a little far away, but if you get to Bishop Auckland, go to the end of Watling Road, turn left and park somewhere on the Henknowle Housing Estate by the main bypass road. Cross the bypass and walk south along the winding River Gaunless. Walking along the river path there between the straightened river and the old railway bridge South/East of the fire station earlier this year, I've seen dippers, grey wagtail, kingfishers, sparrowhawk, all in the space of half an hour in the evening in that half mile. And the dippers and gery wagtail were not shy. Dippers took turns sitting on an old washing machine LOL. Easiest and longest viewing of both I've ever had.

Previous to that, I've seen dippers at the foot of the dam of Cow Green reservoir on the river, top of Cauldron Snout. Bit of a walk, but lots more to see on the fells.

Cheers Charley. I'll give it a go when we get some decent weather. I had read that Bishop Auckland is a good place but looking at weather forecasts struggling for decent weather!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back