• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuente de Piedra Bird photography (1 Viewer)

Rene1958

Hi I was wondering when it’s a good time to visit this area in autumn.winter to photograph flamingos and other birds. I have not been there before so any kind of info highly appreciated
Thanks in advance

Bear in mind that this is the lake where the Flamingoes come to breed, so Winter sightings will be of fewer birds, but some are usually present I think, I haven't been to Spain this year (yet!) but I think the drought will have had a dramatic effect on the water levels at Fuente de Piedra., as with other sites. The whole lake is visible from the visitor centre, which should probably be the first port of call, and you may get information about the birds and where to go. I usually then drive anti-clockwise around the lake stopping whenever it is possible. Not far West of F d P is the laguna Dulce at Campillos. When it's full of water it can be spectacular, but if (as I suspect) it is dry, good luck. I once had a flock of over a hundred Little Bustards fly round and drop in only to completely disappear into the dry vegetation!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back