• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuerteventura April (1 Viewer)

Darren Pearce

I have a weeks holiday booked on Fuerteventura for early April.

I am considering buying A Birdwatchers Guide to The Canary Islands (Collins and Clark). I see the publication date is 1996 and am concerned that the sites might be outdated.

Has anyone used this guide recently who can advise if it is still relevant.

Also any tips for the specialities would be appreciated ie Couser,Bustard,Sandgrouse, Lesser ST Lark etc

Thanks
Darren

Hi Darren,i was in Fuerteventura last September and used a local guide Derek Bradbury,he has his own website (Fuerteventura Bird Watch).He will pick you up from your hotel and take you to all the best sites on the Island although i dipped on Houbara (not for the lack of trying!).

Thanks Robert, I'll take a look at the site

Mark, I dont know without digging all the stuff out. I will have a hire car for the week though.

I have a weeks holiday booked on Fuerteventura for early April.

I am considering buying A Birdwatchers Guide to The Canary Islands (Collins and Clark). I see the publication date is 1996 and am concerned that the sites might be outdated.

Has anyone used this guide recently who can advise if it is still relevant.

Also any tips for the specialities would be appreciated ie Couser,Bustard,Sandgrouse, Lesser ST Lark etc

Thanks
Darren

I was out there over Christmas and used that book. It was fine on Fuerteventura (though somewhat outdated on Tenerife), and we saw all the specialities.

Trip report with more details available here: http://braddersbirding.blogspot.com/2012/02/canary-islands-trip-report.html

Hi Dave, Trip report is great. Hopefully with your report, the links within your report, some site details that are being emailed to me and the book, I should see some good birds

Thanks
Darren

Best bet is to check out the many trip reports on Travelling Birder - there's a wealth of birding experience there, an invaluable resource for the independent birder. Most birders go to the same tried and tested sites - Catalina Garcia, Los Molinos, La Oliva, Barranco del Torre etc etc - these will allow you to see all the specialities with little problem.

Just looked at the Fuerteventura Birdwatch website - Spanish imperial Eagle?? White-tailed eagle?? Golden eagle?? Seriously?? Don't think so...

Like to see a 'Greater spotted cockoo' though....bet they're quite hard though...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back