• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuerteventura & Lanzarote Pelagics, Red-billed Tropicbird, etc. (1 Viewer)

My most recent session was an hour from Punta del Hidalgo (N tip of Tenerife) yesterday: 15 Cory's, 2 Gannets. One Gannet and a couple of Cory's reasonably close. Otherwise everything well offshore.
And 90 minutes here this evening netted 304 Cory's going north. Otherwise only Yellow-legged Gulls.

thanks Jos,
I was just trying to figure out if the place was called "Obe Point" (doesn't sound very Spanish), or it was a typo!
James
Yes, sorry, I was sending messages from the African bush and I did not notice this typing or pick it up from the subsequent comments ... I did indeed mean "at one point", not "at obe point" - apologies for leading a trail of Google searches for a mysterious location that did not exist.

Just to update here as this thread has become a bit of an info repository.

I have not had much luck from land lately but took the ferry Fuerteventura to Gran Canaria and return in a morning. Generally slow, about 10 Cory’s in each direction. One Gannet, one Manx, but fortunately 2 Barolo SW on the return leg, fairly in the middle of the passage. Readily identifiable and fortunately they were traveling with the ferry so I had prolonged views but they were a good ways off and at 60k/h it is not exactly a rewarding bit of birding. C’est la vie, happy to have seen them but will be keen to see them better in the future.

Last edited:
I'll add another update as well. Cory's continue to stream past Punta Del Hidalgo, especially in the late afternoons it seems. Now logged well over 1000 past here with 500 past in 90 minutes on 24th Feb but sadly nothing else with them as yet. I made the longish drive south to the flesh pots of Playa de las Americas today and had a frustrating time sifting through the Ringed Plovers here searching unsuccessfully for the long-staying Semipalmated Plover. Late morning here 3-400 Cory's were gathered offshore, some rather close, and at one point a frenzy of 100 or so formed. Again couldn't locate any other species among them (but I was concentrating more on the bloody plovers!).

One very recent report from Fuerteventura I saw said "At Barranca de Rio Cabra, I counted as many as 24 Egyptian Vultures at a time". Also "The desert steppe of Tindaya where Houbara, Cream coloured coursers, black bellied sandgrouse and Eurasian Stone Curlew. Burstards are best found early in the morning. During the day they may hide next to bushes and rocks".

Since people already report here :) I am not entirely sure as I have not gone through all the photos yet, but I think we did not find the Semipalmated Sandpiper in the on hour we had before sunset, but we may try later maybe. Ferry from Tenerife to La Palma brought a lot of Corys and one Manx, no cetaceans, nothing else of note.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back