• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuerteventura November 4th to 11th (1 Viewer)

Next we tried to find the cycle track to the north of town where squirrels and finches come to feed but we couldn’t find the spot. However, near the edge of town are some sizeable planting of native trees and here we found a couple of Atlantic Canaries and a Trumpeter Finch by the fence.
It was now approaching 16.00 and we needed to decide whether we were staying or coming home, I was leaning towards staying but going across to another Island for the week but Sarah and common-sense prevailed and we decided we would come home.

Not that you need to know now but the cycle track can be found by walking north along the promenade until the buildings end. There is a small headland and the cycle track runs around that. The trumpeter finches can be seen over the area, as can the squirrels and the odd rat. The cycle track continues to the partly derelict urbanacion between Caleta and the airport.

David

Thanks

Not that you need to know now but the cycle track can be found by walking north along the promenade until the buildings end. There is a small headland and the cycle track runs around that. The trumpeter finches can be seen over the area, as can the squirrels and the odd rat. The cycle track continues to the partly derelict urbanacion between Caleta and the airport.

David

That's where we tried but apart from a few cyclists and walkers we didn't see anything and no evidence of any peanut feeding

That's where we tried but apart from a few cyclists and walkers we didn't see anything and no evidence of any peanut feeding

I think it was at the 3rd bench towards the headland where we first saw them. People were mainly feeding the squirrels sunflower seeds but there were some peanuts. Subsequent visits found the trumpeter finches on the rocks and the pathalmost as soon as the built up area ends. I wonder if lockdown meant the number of people feeding the squirrels had declined over the summer.

David

Agree - Suspect lockdown reduced numbers

I think it was at the 3rd bench towards the headland where we first saw them. People were mainly feeding the squirrels sunflower seeds but there were some peanuts. Subsequent visits found the trumpeter finches on the rocks and the pathalmost as soon as the built up area ends. I wonder if lockdown meant the number of people feeding the squirrels had declined over the summer.

David

That's what we thought

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back