• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuji 70-300mm +1.4 TC vs +Cropping (w/ X-T4) (2 Viewers)

MrYama

Portugal
Hello everyone,

I've noticed there are already numerous discussions about the Fujinon XF 70-300mm lens and the teleconverter 1.4X TC, but I've found a mix of answers.
It seems the consensus is that the 2X TC might not be the best option, but the 1.4X TC can yield pleasant results. However, many people have also mentioned that with a good body, using the 70-300mm lens without the teleconverter and simply cropping might actually produce better outcomes.

So, here's my question: I currently have the X-T4, and I'm wondering if this body is capable enough to use the 70-300mm lens without the teleconverter, thereby getting better light and cropping after. Or would this approach be more suited for the X-T5 and X-H2S only?

My primary use case for this setup would be birding.

I would greatly appreciate any insights or experiences you could share on this topic.

Thanks in advance!

I have the 70-300mm lens mounted on my X-T4. Granted l am just a weekend photographer but I liked the results that I got from this combo. This is my first time responding to a bird forum. I will post some bird photos when I figure out how.

The X-T4 and the X-H2s both have 26 MP. They are therefore equally suited or unsuited for cropping. The X-T5 has 40 MP and is thus better suited to cropping than either of the other two. Whether you run that lens with the 1.4x TC is completely up to you. Try it out and see which results are best for you.

The 2.0x TC takes two stops of light which might still be ok on a very bright day, but I would not use it for BIF. Also the notoriously mediocre Fuji AF will start hunting, so good pictures will be more a matter of luck than of skill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back