• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuji Finepix HS10 review (1 Viewer)

lovely crisp shot of the goldfinch. What zoom level did you use ?

Thanks, I shot them at 720mm and I believe I was using the digital zoom as well on these. I was honestly quite privileged to get so close to them, I actually felt a kind of trust with them as they clearly saw me approach. I was so certain that they were going to scatter and that I was going to miss my opportunity at such range that I wanted to get even closer, hence the use of the digital zoom.

Nice shots of the Goldfinch. Can someone tell me why I cant upload photos? Keeps saying its failed?:C

I had the same difficulty at first, as I'd never uploaded photos before. I just use 'image shack' now. Simply upload the image (via image shack etc) and view it, now right click and copy the image URL, then paste and upload into attachments.
Hope this makes sense/helps and thanks for the Goldfinch comments!

I guess spring has well and truly sprung . I watched a pair of House Sparrows building a nest in my rear sandstone wall this morning. Thank god winter is over :t:
I must start experimenting more with the closeup setting on the HS10

Attachments

• Snowdrops super closeup.jpg
    Snowdrops super closeup.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 102
I managed to get out with the camera today (been awhile), unfortunately the weather was completely horrible (unlike yesterday), equalling terrible light and a lot of useless shots! Not to bothered though, as it is still very early days with the camera.

Attachments

• dscf1025r.jpg
    dscf1025r.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 143
  • dscf0992f.jpg
    dscf0992f.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 161
I've got a cracking CP4500 that's been sitting unloved in a drawer for years, mate... ;)

Jon

I miss my 4500, been struggling to find a good camera for macros.

I am interested int he HS10 now it can be got for a good price. Is it good for macro shots of small critters and flies. Has anyone used add on lenses to increase the magnification such as Raynoxs or similar?

I miss my 4500, been struggling to find a good camera for macros.

I am interested int he HS10 now it can be got for a good price. Is it good for macro shots of small critters and flies. Has anyone used add on lenses to increase the magnification such as Raynoxs or similar?

take alook at the previous page in this thread. I have posted some good links to HS10 forums with plenty of macro/supermacro examples for the HS10

Some 'finch' photos from last month. I'm still not getting out much with the camera due to parenting and bad light. I also managed to pick up a 'Sony DH1758 teleconverter' for £35 off ebay!

Attachments

• dscf1131r.jpg
    dscf1131r.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 105
  • dscf1147.jpg
    dscf1147.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 107
  • dscf1415.jpg
    dscf1415.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 145
Some 'finch' photos from last month. I'm still not getting out much with the camera due to parenting and bad light. I also managed to pick up a 'Sony DH1758 teleconverter' for £35 off ebay!

cracking shots !
Are they taken with the tele ? I got a Canon TC-DC58N 1.75x off ebay for £20.00 because the seller said it would only fit a canon camera. ;)

I've found that a tele has a significant effect on depth of field (DOF)for birds at full focal lengths , depending on subject distance.

Theres a useful DOF table here which you can use to calculate the depth of field at a given mangnification for any camera. http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Are you using A aperture setting for your bird shots ? I'd be interested to hear what settings you are using and what your EXIF is for those images.

cracking shots !
Are they taken with the tele ? I got a Canon TC-DC58N 1.75x off ebay for £20.00 because the seller said it would only fit a canon camera. ;)

I've found that a tele has a significant effect on depth of field (DOF)for birds at full focal lengths , depending on subject distance.

Theres a useful DOF table here which you can use to calculate the depth of field at a given mangnification for any camera. http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Are you using A aperture setting for your bird shots ? I'd be interested to hear what settings you are using and what your EXIF is for those images.

I haven't actually managed to get out with the tele yet, except for basic comparison shots (neighbouring buildings etc). I'm learning/shooting on this p-mode setting http://eyemindsoul.blogspot.com/2010/10/fujifilm-hs-10-how-to-set.html so the camera chooses the aperture and shutter speed (I think), nothing too adventurous as of yet. As these shots were taken in a hide and after 3pm, I set the iso higher to 800. Thanks for the comments and the very useful link.:t:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back