• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Future Swarovski spotting scope (2 Viewers)

fire4j15

I bought a new pair of NL pure 10x42's and absolutely love it. Field of view is fantastic. My question is does anyone think Swarovski will put the NL pure technology into the atx line of spotting scopes next?

More likely into an STX. If at all.
Why do you think that? If they can get that giant field of view like the NL binos have the spotting scope would be awesome. I have the 95mm
Atx and the field of view just feels small now after owning the NL PURES. It didn't feel that way when I owned the el binos

I bought a new pair of NL pure 10x42's and absolutely love it. Field of view is fantastic. My question is does anyone think Swarovski will put the NL pure technology into the atx line of spotting scopes next?

Who knows, but the new ATC scope has a wider FOV compared to ATX/ATS at similar magnification (below 40x).
Zeiss do it differently in the Harpia, so hard to compare, but I don't think it's that easy in the ATX.
Still prefer the Swaros over the Harpia.

FOV at 25x.

ATC: 52m
ATX: 41m (65/85mm obj.)
ATS: 42m (25-50x W EP)
Harpia: 55m (85mm obj.)

Last edited:
As noted there are constant apparent field of view zooms and hopefully more will appear so the wideness can be enjoyed at lower powers too. The Astro community get this by changing eyepieces, but just twisting a zoom would be so much easier. Would expect it’ll take a while as they don’t want to undermine their existing products (which are pretty good already).

Peter

As noted there are constant apparent field of view zooms and hopefully more will appear so the wideness can be enjoyed at lower powers too. The Astro community get this by changing eyepieces, but just twisting a zoom would be so much easier. Would expect it’ll take a while as they don’t want to undermine their existing products (which are pretty good already).

Peter
Yes they are. Was just figuring the atx/stx line is 10 years old now. Bought mine in January of 2013. Figuring it's getting close to a new upgrade or line of new spotting scopes in the next couple of years.

Hi, this is what Swarovski wrote:

We apologize regarding your experience. This is certainly not a common experience with our spotting scopes, especially our modular series as they have the same glass as our newest EL Range TA's and NL Pure's. They have the same coatings and field flattener lenses.

We apologize regarding your experience. This is certainly not a common experience with our spotting scopes, especially our modular series as they have the same glass as our newest EL Range TA's and NL Pure's. They have the same coatings and field flattener lenses.

But the same FOV since 20-25? years ago?

In that sense the ATC is more interesting considering the exceptional wide FOV relative to magnification,
which I didn't realize before I looked into it here.

Would be interesting to hear what the perception of the ATC FOV is relative to the NL:s.

A wider FOV will mean more aberrations, and what Zeiss effectively do in the Harpia is stopping down the aperture, like in a camera lens.
The ATC has a smaller aperture from the beginning so it might be easier to control aberrations at a wider FOV.

Last edited:
There's been no change in the FOV of the ATC's eyepiece compared to the ATX's eyepiece module. Both are 57º-71º across the zoom range, about the same as the NL binoculars at the highest magnifications. The wider real FOV in the ATC at lower magnifications is just the inevitable result of its shorter focal length objective lens.

Doesn't the ATX/STX line already have AFOV which is comparable with the NL?

NL 12x42 AFOV 71
ATX AFOV 57-71

There's been no change in the FOV of the ATC's eyepiece compared to the ATX's eyepiece module. Both are 57º-71º across the zoom range, about the same as the NL binoculars at the highest magnifications. The wider real FOV in the ATC at lower magnifications is just the inevitable result of its shorter focal length objective lens.

I guess you mean no change in AFOV?

The FOV is definitely wider in the ATC at the same magnification, and should be a nice feature in some settings.
52m vs 41/42m at 25x is significant in area.

Attachments

• scopes.png
    scopes.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 36
... I have the 95mm Atx and the field of view just feels small now after owning the NL PURES. It didn't feel that way when I owned the el binos
If you want wider AFOVS and FOVs with your X95 have a look at Swaro X derivations
Swaro will improve AFOVs of their scopes to reply to the Zeiss Harpia. The question is when? If Zeiss was selling tons of Harpia the reply would be faster since it seems that not so much Harpias have been sold...

The 95 Harpia appears to be selling rather well. It is sold out everywhere, and according to Zeiss they are having a tough time with raw materials to build more. I do hope Swaro improves the eyepiece and maintain the same objectives they have now. I would hate to have purchased a 115 and they come out with an entire new system.

The fundamental difference is that Swarovski uses a zooming eyepiece and the Zeiss Harpia uses a zooming objective. The latter comes with the disadvantage of a comparatively small exit pupil at the lower magnifications and impaired low light capability.
An AFoV of 57° at the lowest magnification of a zoom eyepiece is pretty good and was not to be had 15-20 years ago.
One cannot expect a quantum leap in development every decade and there are many old designs that still have some relevance today.
The Abbe orthoscopic eyepiece was invented in 1880 and is still appreciated by some amateur astronomers.

John

The fundamental difference is that Swarovski uses a zooming eyepiece and the Zeiss Harpia uses a zooming objective. The latter comes with the disadvantage of a comparatively small exit pupil at the lower magnifications and impaired low light capability.
An AFoV of 57° at the lowest magnification of a zoom eyepiece is pretty good and was not to be had 15-20 years ago.
One cannot expect a quantum leap in development every decade and there are many old designs that still have some relevance today.
The Abbe orthoscopic eyepiece was invented in 1880 and is still appreciated by some amateur astronomers.

John
Very interesting. Wonder what the military prefers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back