• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FZ8 Advice plz.. (1 Viewer)

Imace

Hi,
I have been looking at the reviews of the fz18 fz8 and fz50. From what i have read it seems the fz8 comes out on top. obviously the flagship fz50 is going to be the best but from what the reviws say the difference between the 3 models are so minimal the the fz18 or 50 are not worth the extra cash. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I am not interested in the sales pitch that more pixels make better pictures.. The best pictures are the ones that the birds are there. Its no good having a 50million pixel camera with a 1000mm zoom IS APO lens if there is nothing to point and click at.|:d|. My other option is to go for the Canon Cybershot DSC - H7 or H9
THanks
Ian

I have the FZ8 and its pretty good on the whole (ijust cant take photos!)

It dosn't have manual focus and auto can be a real b!tch some times especially with birds in cover.

HTH

Gareth

Can you centre AF your focus on auto so the camera doesn't look for so much to focus on and confuse it.

Can you centre AF your focus on auto so the camera doesn't look for so much to focus on and confuse it.

You can, to some degree. But unless you use a tripod, you are likely to get the focus point on the twigs as well.

To get back to your initial post: fz18 has more wide angle. Not important for bird photos, but it comes in handy for other applications.

Last edited:
Hi,
I have been looking at the reviews of the fz18 fz8 and fz50. From what i have read it seems the fz8 comes out on top. obviously the flagship fz50 is going to be the best but from what the reviws say the difference between the 3 models are so minimal the the fz18 or 50 are not worth the extra cash. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I am not interested in the sales pitch that more pixels make better pictures.. The best pictures are the ones that the birds are there. Its no good having a 50million pixel camera with a 1000mm zoom IS APO lens if there is nothing to point and click at.|:d|. My other option is to go for the Canon Cybershot DSC - H7 or H9
THanks
Ian

Hi Ian,

I have the FZ18. I think for purposes of bird photography, the extra 70 mm lens length is valuable. (Even with the 504 mm lens of the FZ 18, I often wish the camera would zoom in closer). The extra 70 mm is roughly the difference between 8x and 9x binoculars. But if you plan on frequently using a tele-converter, I think that difference becomes somewhat less important. Also, I just read one review that claimed that the FZ 18 had slightly better image quality than the FZ 8. Whether these differences, admittedly not great, are "worth the money" is hard to say because that judgment depends upon your personal situation.

By the way, I cannot really tell from your post where you are located. There are places called " Bucks" in most English-speaking countries. Maybe you could add additional info and/or a country flag? Just a suggestion.

Best,
Jim

Hi Ian,

I have the FZ18. I think for purposes of bird photography, the extra 70 mm lens length is valuable. (Even with the 504 mm lens of the FZ 18, I often wish the camera would zoom in closer). The extra 70 mm is roughly the difference between 8x and 9x binoculars. But if you plan on frequently using a tele-converter, I think that difference becomes somewhat less important. Also, I just read one review that claimed that the FZ 18 had slightly better image quality than the FZ 8. Whether these differences, admittedly not great, are "worth the money" is hard to say because that judgment depends upon your personal situation.

Best,
Jim

Seconded! I was debating getting the FZ8 but am really glad I waited and got the FZ18. The extra zoom comes in very handy. Plus you can still add a TC on top of that. I think any difference in IQ is pretty marginal between the two. If you are going to use it for bird photography I would get the FZ18.

Some pics taken with the FZ18:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8773601@N03/sets/72157603341038890/

Most are with the FZ-18 but check the exif because a few are taken with my Fuji F31 FD and 'scope.

Incidentally I think you mean Sony Cybershot (H7 and H9 are sony brand). The Canon equivalent is the S5 IS or S3 IS. I think the major difference between the Canon S5 and the FZ8 is that the Canon has a flip out screen and a better movie mode. But the Panny is easier to use and has a better image stabilisation and focus system I think. The Sonys don't seem to do as well in the reviews.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz18/

Last edited:
I have decided to pay the extra and go for the FZ18 and a TC. Your pics are great Kitty, it was those that made my mind up. I have looked at so many makes and H, SU, S's and FZ's I couldnt remember who made what.

Can you tell me the TC code I need to buy. I see treads talking about the TCON 17 but isn't that an Olympus product code?

J.Moore: Bucks is Buckinghamshire UK.

TCON 17 is an Olympus product but that is the one you want, seems to get the best revues (apart from the Nikon but i believe it costs more than your camera). You will also need an adaptor but can't remember product code.

Maybe this will help: "For mounting Raynox DCR-2020PRO, DCR-1540PRO, DCR-150. DCR-250, MSN-202 or MSN-505 lenses on LUMIX-FZ18 camera, it’s necessary to have the Panasonic original DMW-LA3 Lens Adapter mounted. (For use with DCR-2020PRO, DCR-1540PRO, DCR-5320PRO lenses, it needs an appropriate adapter ring which is sold separately.)"
See: http://raynox.co.jp/english/digital/fz18/index.htm

THanks for the info Cristian. I have looked at the Canon S5 IS and on the canon website they show the various converters that you can hav with the S5. What do you think of the S5 against the FZ18 or the Olympus SU550/560. I am going to buy a camera today and i have the FZ18 at the top of my list. I haven't held any yet so we will see.

I have two cameras: A Canon PowerShot S3 IS and a Olympus SP 560UZ. I use two Raynox teleconverters with both (DCR 1540PRO and DCR 2020PRO). With Canon you'll have a better image quality. On the other hand, in my opinion, Olympus have better controls, and is smaller and lighter (in field this could be important). I would say that with Canon you'll take better pics in poor light...Among S5, 560UZ and FZ18 I would choose S5...

Well, i've taken the plunge and ordered a FZ18. Spent the last few weeks reading the forums on here &dpreview etc plus looking through the galleries. Considered the usual contenders, Canon s5, Olympus sp560, Panasonic FZ50 & 18. Final decision was between the Panasonics but went for FZ18 because of smaller size, longer zoom, larger monitor and doesn't seem to be any noticeable pic qaulity improvement with the 50. May look at TCON 17 in a few weeks.

Well, i've taken the plunge and ordered a FZ18. Spent the last few weeks reading the forums on here &dpreview etc plus looking through the galleries. Considered the usual contenders, Canon s5, Olympus sp560, Panasonic FZ50 & 18. Final decision was between the Panasonics but went for FZ18 because of smaller size, longer zoom, larger monitor and doesn't seem to be any noticeable pic qaulity improvement with the 50. May look at TCON 17 in a few weeks.

Good selection! I am very happy with its predecessor and I wish I could have a bit more wide-angle. You also get a bit more on the tele side than I have. I particularly like this compactness without compromising lens quality. Only problem is the noise at higher ISO settings. I assume the FZ50 would have the same limitation.

Have been digiscoping with Coolpix 4500 & Swarovski scope for a few years and hopefully i can get better results with FZ18. The FZ18 is for using on it's own, not digiscoping, will keep the Coolpix for that when required.

Can i ask you where you bought your FZ18 and what you paid for it. I was looking at an internet site that sells it for £227.99 + p&p and a 2yr warranty. Is that a good price..?. I am going to Comet tommorrow to have a look and get a feel for the FZ18
Thanks
Ian

Have been digiscoping with Coolpix 4500 & Swarovski scope for a few years and hopefully i can get better results with FZ18. The FZ18 is for using on it's own, not digiscoping, will keep the Coolpix for that when required.

I would say they compliment each other nicely. In good light, and when birds are going to be closer take the FZ18. On holiday In India I was using the FZ18 almost all the time. However, the few times I used my Fuji F31 and scope, I generally got better shots (in poorer light or when the bird was further away). Here is a comparison of the two set-ups. The first is taken with the FZ18 and TCON-17. the second with a Kowa TS-614 and scope. Both taken in January on the same day at Cley.

Jo

Attachments

• 2188771157_512285f23d.jpg
    2188771157_512285f23d.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 153
  • 2187174809_b67b484b87.jpg
    2187174809_b67b484b87.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 144
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back