• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

G9-ii review (3 Viewers)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
There is a review out of the G9-ii from DP review:

Notable quote:
And while the OM-1-ii can recognize more subjects, we think the G9 II's AF tracking performance has a slight edge. Its price is also $500 below that of the Olympus, money that could be spent on lenses.
Niels

I recently had a 15% off offer from Panasonic so invested in the G9M2 - not had chance to take it out yet, but should do this weekend.

That sentence from the review stuck out to me as well - I expect we are splitting hairs comparing the two now.

A bit naughty to use G9 as it looks exactly like my Canon G9 marking.

I saw a bird photo on the forum recently and assumed the G9 was a Canon.
It probably wasn't.

Also, I think it was Fuji who pinched Minolta's names.

Regards,
B.

Well, G and GH followed by a number has probably been used by Panasonic for 20 years. So not a great surprise to some of us. :)
Niels

Canon G1 came out in 2000, Panasonic G1 was 2008 - if Canon had any gripes about use of the “G series” naming system they’d probably have spoken up by now. They are different types of camera in any case, an interchangeable lens system vs compact, so no real issue in my opinion.

I will be trying my new G9M2 properly over Easter. My only points of note so far in setting it up are that even from testing with pictures on the wall the AF is impressive, so I have high hopes. The only downer to date is re charging, I seriously don’t like charging in camera so I sourced the charging module without cables to use with the camera supplied cables and I can now charge like I’m used to (that saves a little money over buying the complete charger kit) - it’s a bit poor they don’t include a charger now in my opinion. G9 batteries don’t work in G9M2 so do factor that in too.

I read somewhere that the default AF setting was prioritizing staying at same distance too much, and that changing that setting was better for especially bird photography. Probably something worth experimenting with.
Niels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back