• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gallery: November raven in southeastern Victoria, Australia (2 Viewers)

All-knowing Idiot
Opus Editor
Poland
Eagle Point, Victoria - Wikipedia, coastal southeastern Victoria in November 2004

not a House Crow; possibles include Australian Raven, Little Raven and Forest Raven

Forest Raven because of the big bill? (or maybe unidentifiable)

Thanks all in advance

Hmmm interesting. There's only 4 corvids on mainland Australia only three could be in range and for all the iris is white, which none of these pictures show.

Doesn't look anything like a House Crow to me, but never seen one LOL.

The Opus says the ones which have reached Australia on ships are in Western Australia, which isn't where Victoria is.

Forest Raven is confined to Tasmania, so far as I know?

It has some limited range outside Tasmania, too. I think that a darker iris could mean juvenile; this would be in line with the comment under the first picture, also photos from ML.

EDIT: Forest Raven (Corvus tasmanicus) :: xeno-canto

EDIT 2: It is, however, the only corvid in Tasmania.

EDIT 3: All in all, I managed to find five Australian corvids (given the Tasmanian one counts as well):

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231028-185349_Merlin Bird ID.jpg
    Screenshot_20231028-185349_Merlin Bird ID.jpg
    616.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Already addressed - 19 years ago - by one of the respondents here:
Australian crow species are pretty unidentifiable from photos - or at all, if you're me. (And this bird isn't a house crow: plumage and bill-shape.)

EDIT 3: All in all, I managed to find five Australian corvids (given the Tasmanian one counts as well):

Yeah...... I did say 4 on the Australian mainland. I'd not discovered that the Forest one had also been found on the mainland.

I think that a darker iris could mean juvenile;
Ah, that would make sense, however, I just didn't get a "young" feel from any of them. But....

Australian crow species are pretty unidentifiable from photos - or at all, if you're me.
Fortunately I had experts in the field with me who kept me right LOL. Although there are some places/habitats where maybe only one of them occurs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back