• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Game Camera (1 Viewer)

LifeIsGood2

Show-Me Missouri
What is the general opinion of using game cameras as a way to watch birds? It seems to me that it takes away from the thrill of being in the right place at the right time to spot a bird. Are they used much in the birding community. I am very new to bird watching.

In the UK at least, I'd have said they're increasing in popularity. One of the reasons is probably because their use is now frequently conspicuous in BBC wildlife documentaries.

I think their use would be considered as an additional activity rather than replacement for seeing with your own eyeballs. You’d probably raise more than a few eyebrows if it was used to tick off something on a list!

Thank you

In the UK at least, I'd have said they're increasing in popularity. One of the reasons is probably because their use is now frequently conspicuous in BBC wildlife documentaries.

I think their use would be considered as an additional activity rather than replacement for seeing with your own eyeballs. You’d probably raise more than a few eyebrows if it was used to tick off something on a list!

Makes sense. We have game cameras since my hubby is deer hunter and he uses it for scouting. So, I thought about putting it up here at home just to see what lives here.

Might be an interesting activity, to record what's around, but I certainly wouldn't confuse it with birdwatching.

Peter C.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back