• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2014 (1 Viewer)

Well, I was thinking along other lines, wondering whether the local butcher would give me some unwanted bones etc. that I could put on the roof for my next target garden bird - Lammergeier;)

I'll let you all know when the wintering bird comes back to the château in Annecy town centre (only 40 minutes from Geneva airport, Easyjet flights from various UK airports (sorry Larry!) in the ski season (other airlines are available....)).
I'll get the spare bedroom ready for visitors B :)

That sounds great, Richard. Here's to snow on the mountains!

Fantastic Richard well done! Must have been the "sweetest" tea that you've ever tasted. I've seen but the one! 36 years ago now, impossible to forget, looking down on those Butterfly crimson wings as they flapped and glided (my first ever twitch, with brand new Zeiss 10x40's...a-a-a-a-h-h! positively orgasmic!

Last edited:
I'll let you all know when the wintering bird comes back to the château in Annecy town centre (only 40 minutes from Geneva airport, Easyjet flights from various UK airports (sorry Larry!) in the ski season (other airlines are available....)).
I'll get the spare bedroom ready for visitors B :)

If you get the both, Wallcreeper and Lammergeier in your garden same time - count me in!

Congratulations for Wallcreeper! B :):t:

I've had a good one. I thought I saw it yesterday....... woosh........and it was gone but today I saw it properly, no 77) Merlin. That takes the raptor total for the year to eight.

My autumn is grinding to a halt ...empty meadows now, bands of Long-tailed Tits migrating south, but no additions for the year for quite a while now. With luck, I may get two more this year (Waxwing and Coal Tit), and that'll be it. Had a Nutcracker teasing today ...waited 10 years for them to use the feeders, but every year they almost do, but never do! One sitting above the feeder today squawking, but never dropped to use it. Returned several times though...

I've had a good one. I thought I saw it yesterday....... woosh........and it was gone but today I saw it properly, no 77) Merlin. That takes the raptor total for the year to eight.

I'm doing really well for raptors with 13 species so far, still hoping for Hen Harrier and maybe Merlin if I'm lucky. Mind you, no ducks, gulls or waders so far, Jos' flocks of Long-tailed Tits would be a handy addition too!

Well, fellow garden listers, I will apologise upfront for the following MEGA!!

I was watching through the window when I saw two raptors across the valley. They were both buteos but noticeably different in wing aspect. They drifted North slowly but the light was against me getting plumage on them. However due to kinked upward-lifted arm and longish flat hand (primaries curving up) I am convinced I've just had a

ROUGH-LEGGED BUZZARD

go past !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was watching through the window when I saw two raptors across the valley. They were both buteos but noticeably different in wing aspect. They drifted North slowly but the light was against me getting plumage on them. However due to kinked upward-lifted arm and longish flat hand (primaries curving up) I am convinced I've just had a

ROUGH-LEGGED BUZZARD

go past !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, lucky you!:t: Hope it sticks around. How many raptor species for you?

ROUGH-LEGGED BUZZARD

go past !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crikey!! Well done you. I hope it's careful which areas it visits up there (has the grouse shooting season finished?)
You deserve a B :)

No, the season's still on I think. But they shoot bops year round around here.

Amazingly in the afternoon warm a Southern hawker was in the garden today!

After a rather dull September, October has hit back with a bit of a bang, 10 species added since the weekend!

123 Gadwall
124 Spotted Flycatcher
125 Pomarine Skua
126 Reed Bunting
127 Brambling
128 Grey wagtail
129 Snipe
130 Jay
131 Great Spotted Woodpecker
132 Song Thrush
133 White-fronted Goose
134 Lesser Redpoll
135 Long-tailed Duck
136 Red-breasted Merganser
137 Canada Goose
138 Short-eared Owl

By the way, your Tree Sparrows still haven't arrived here yet;)

My feeders are crawling with them - I can post a few to you if I can find enough empty loo rolls to pack them in :t:

PS Long-tailed Tits still moving through, I could add some of these too if the postal service will allow me bulk posting rates...

My feeders are crawling with them - I can post a few to you if I can find enough empty loo rolls to pack them in :t:

PS Long-tailed Tits still moving through, I could add some of these too if the postal service will allow me bulk posting rates...

Very kind I'm sure! Actually I suspect that a lot of the local birders here believe that's how I managed to get our famous Italian Sparrow into the garden;), he's still going strong after at least 4 years here, as you can see, he's looking all smart after his recent moult.

Attachments

• Italian sparrow fresh autumn Oct 2014.jpg
    Italian sparrow fresh autumn Oct 2014.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 53
Very kind I'm sure! Actually I suspect that a lot of the local birders here believe that's how I managed to get our famous Italian Sparrow into the garden;), he's still going strong after at least 4 years here, as you can see, he's looking all smart after his recent moult.

Hope this smart bird is added to your total ...fully countable :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back