• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2022 (2 Viewers)

Screenshot_20230226_180839_Samsung Internet.jpg

I disagree. Even with the awful image quality which I am loathe to draw any firm conclusion from, how can this be deemed as more likely Whooper than Mute?

Why did you select an image where the wing masks the face when you had another 12 to choose from?…somewhat orchestrated from my perspective and proves nowt!

Because it appears to show the chunk of black between the eye and bill base that you said was not remotely in evidence.

Apologies if I have orchestrated an alternative view to your own, I should have known better than to get involved.

Because it appears to show the chunk of black between the eye and bill base that you said was not remotely in evidence.

Apologies if I have orchestrated an alternative view to your own, I should have known better than to get involved.
The black you refer to is “underneath” the bill!!!
Which ALL Swans have.😮

The “absent” black I refer to is the black wedge between the eye and the bill side…it “doesn’t exist” on my images, thus it can’t be a Mute Swan!

The black you refer to is “underneath” the bill!!!
Which ALL Swans have.😮

The “absent” black I refer to is the black wedge between the eye and the bill side…it “doesn’t exist” on my images, thus it can’t be a Mute Swan!

Jeff, I’ve chosen the lower rear adult, as that shows as best as it can, “most” of the upper bill as compared to the rest, hope it helps…

Attachments

• 40AF6CD2-7086-49B8-A612-FBEEAA146F30.jpeg
    40AF6CD2-7086-49B8-A612-FBEEAA146F30.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 4
Could it possibly be that in such low quality images, detail is being lost?

Even in your chosen picture there is a darker line between the eye and the bill, just shown more clearly in the one I chose.

Still, just my humble thoughts. I would be recording this as Mute Swan.

Happy birding Ken.

JW

Could it possibly be that in such low quality images, detail is being lost?

Even in your chosen picture there is a darker line between the eye and the bill, just shown more clearly in the one I chose.

Still, just my humble thoughts. I would be recording this as Mute Swan.

Happy birding Ken.

JW
If you accept that the exaggerated black shadow which you know is white beneath the chin is just that, then just imagine what the pixelation/artefact would do to a “black wedge” beneath the eye and ending against the bill!

Yes, Happy Birding Jeff.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back