• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2023 (2 Viewers)

Stepped out of bed and looked out the window this am, then rubbing eyes to see the back of a “Woodpigeon” turned, walked away but something wasn’t right, turned round again grabbing camera realising that although this wasn’t a year tick (have had two “rock ‘n’ roll” flyovers already) this would be the first “in garden” tick for many years!😮

Attachments

• ECB022DB-A6DB-4185-B6A8-5251FA5A910E.jpeg
    ECB022DB-A6DB-4185-B6A8-5251FA5A910E.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
Last week the Winter came back. Lots of birds had flew back to South.

Anyway, I got 3 new Year tick today and one of those I saw from bedroom window:

#19. On right...
A big increase in Chaffinch and Yellowhammer numbers with the snowy weather here the past few days and three Brambling still so not all gone up to you yet Wari!
This morning I finally managed confirm that my Black Grouse in February wasn’t a freak one-off, I watched it for half an hour (perhaps the same male?), clambering in branches and making short flights to different trees to presumably nibble buds. Attached attempt at digiscopng it shows the terrain (the bird is in there somewhere, honest!).

Attachments

• 1A84DCD0-50AC-476E-BBA4-4895D3B35EF7.jpeg
    1A84DCD0-50AC-476E-BBA4-4895D3B35EF7.jpeg
    732.5 KB · Views: 9
April 3rd
52. Greylag Goose -
one over

The Merlin sound app that I occasionally play with at quiet times (plenty of them recently) reckoned it detected Meadow Pipit which would have been #53 if I had heard it.

……
April 3rd
52. Greylag Goose -
one over

The Merlin sound app that I occasionally play with at quiet times (plenty of them recently) reckoned it detected Meadow Pipit which would have been #53 if I had heard it.
You’d have got it with hearing aids Steve, an absolute game changer!👍

Would-be yard birds seen from just outside the garden today included a Lesser Black-backed Gull and a female-type Black Redstart.

11. Blackcap.

Have been hearing and seeing them around for one or two weeks now, but not from the garden.

----

Leaving for a short Easter break to France this afternoon. In contrast to our 60 m2 (~600 ft2), we've got 6 ha (~15 acres) there, including a wooded area and two decent sized ponds. Lets see how fast I beat the current Swiss garden numbers :)

11. Blackcap.

Have been hearing and seeing them around for one or two weeks now, but not from the garden.

----

Leaving for a short Easter break to France this afternoon. In contrast to our 60 m2 (~600 ft2), we've got 6 ha (~15 acres) there, including a wooded area and two decent sized ponds. Lets see how fast I beat the current Swiss garden numbers :)
Should take you less than 15 minutes Frank!
A Blackcap singing less than 1km from home yesterday so that won’t be long( hopefully !).

And relax.....................

62 Blackcap

singing in the trees this morning. This is actually the latest first Blackcap of the year for us here, average date is 23 March and only once has it been April before the first.
Another one that's a bit overdue is Water Pipit, 7 April is the latest first date for that one.

Expectations being high on Tuesday (4th), with wall to wall blue, Brimstones and Chiffies everywhere, yet no “aerial” activity contrasted strongly with today’s battleship grey and wind out the NW…yet Kestrel up and over, along with Sprawk, with a pair of Buzzards displaying above, followed by pair of Red Kites over the house…then being eclipsed by Swallow North..no.63 (and my 2nd earliest)….and now a 2nd + another two!😮😮

Last edited:
I have forgotten to mention Hooded crow which are common around here. This morning was a beautiful clear morning after 8 cms of snow and I was delighted to see 7 Whooper swans fly over.

Here's a weird thing: 3:40 am. I'm woken by an imagined (?) knock at the door. Opened bedroom window to see if anyone there. No one.
As I leant out a

64: COOT

called loud & clear!! Not just a garden tick but a patch tick!

Arrived Wednesday evening at our place in France. Heard some (I) Blackcap while getting out of the car, but then was busy getting the house warm preparing food, putting up a tent for a 14 year old that wanted to brave the cold night temperatures (and then finding 4 extra covers for him...) etc. Yesterday morning (April 6th), it was different. Most obvious were the (II) Green Woodpecker calls, as well as (III) Great Tit, (IV) Chaffin, (V) Black Bird and (VI) Carrion Crow.

After getting the fire started, coffee flowing and some other domestic tasks, finally there was some time to walk around the property (will try to post some photos, once I am back in the civilized world, where the tubes of the WWW are a bit wider). First heard were two (VII) Great Spotted Woodpeckers, one close by, and a bit further that were taking turns drumming. Since I filled the feeders, a bunch of (VIII) House Sparrows came by, and in the wooded area I heard some (IX) Short-toed Treecreepers and (X) Blue Tits (in addition to most of the species heard or seen before). Nearer to the pond area, there were (XI) Chiffchaff as well as a (XII) Green Sandpiper. Also, I spotted the first (XIII) Robin, which normally are rather abundant, a (XIV) Skylark, which are definitely not abundant as well as a (XV) Meadow Pipit. We flushed a, rather well hidden (XVI) Mallard. Then we heard a quite distant bird call/song which we couldn't identify. Bird.net came to the rescue and identified it as a Hoopoe. Although indeed the are reported to be in the general area, I have never seen or heard one and won't count it until I actually see one -- would be spectacular though!!

Some rather loud (XVII) Wood Pigeons passed by, as well as an even louder (XVIII) Nuthatch, followed by a much more discreet (XIX) Starling. Then, as if to confusing the visiting Swiss, a (XX) Cuckoo started calling at noon sharp. Also some raptors showed up, we heard and saw a beautiful (XXI) Buzzard, and somewhere hidden was a (XXII) Kestrel. Whereas in our garden in Zurich they are one of the loudest species, here we only saw some (XXIII) Collared Doves sitting on an electricity line, without a sound.

For lunch there was a domesticated duck, but lets not count that...

Most of the afternoon was spend cutting grass, cleaning up and other fun stuff. Early evening I had some more time looking for birds. Most of those listed above made reappearances, but some new species were a (XXIV) Yellowhammer, a (XXV) Hawfinch and a (XXVI) Siskin. Also, we spotted some (XXVII) Coal Tits. Last new bird of the day was a (XXVIII) Song Thrush.

Not bad for a single day at ones own property, but I have to admit some disappointment in the absence of any swallows or martins ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back