• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

geese (1 Viewer)

jonafly

Is the white one snow or ross', and the big one between the grey-legs?
mystery2.jpg

Hi Jonafly,

The big one is an escaped farmyard goose (domesticated Greylag).

The white one I am fairly sure is a Snow Goose, I think I can just see the black 'grin' line on the bill, and the bill looks fairly heavy too. Most probably also an escape in Holland too (particularly if, as it looks, the pic was taken in summer), but the occasional wild bird may turn up in winter if you are lucky.

Michael

Yes, the bill is too big (though it is extemely foreshortened in a couple of pictures by its angle away from the camera) and the neck too long for Ross's. Ross's is a very petite goose.

Hi Jonafly,

I've tried to look at the pictures on all three of your postings, but they do not appear to work. Would you please repost the pictures, if possible?

Thanks, Kate

Re: images

jonafly said:
Soory Kate,

But they're alright. Everybody else can see them. Do you have your setup right?

Are they all supposed to be superimposed on one another? If so then I can see them (but the image is very confused) - but if not then I have the same problem as Kate.

Helen and Kate-- That's the way I viewed them too. I thought it was just an artistic collage, and ignored the superimpositions. The Snow Goose is quite identifiably visible.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back