• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Germany and Netherlands in mid-June? (1 Viewer)

3Italianbirders

Supporter
Italy
Hello all, as usual we are too late planning our summer holidays and as usual we can go as soon as school is out here, which is June 10 (we may be able to leave a couple of days earlier), which is already too late for decent birding almost anywhere apart from mountains and places up north. Also, we may be visiting family in Cologne, Germany around 17-20 June, so we were thinking about a few days birding before that. We would be driving from Tuscany, possibly stopping overnight in southern Germany somewhere, then a stop in the middle (?) and maybe a dash north to the Netherlands (Oostvaardesplassen? Texel?) and sightseeing in Amsterdam too.
I have looked up locations on eBird that had the most species in June and come up with a few places, but obviously the high counts don't mean much if they are common species (for us). The Netherlands look a bit more promising with White-tailed Eagle, Bluethroat and a few others, but the overall picture is not too enticing.
I know it's bad timing, but it's when we can go. Does anyone have any tips, on places to visit with good species, or should we scrap the birding altogether and just go for the family stuff?
Thank you!

My last few visits to the Oostvaardersplassen were a bit underwhelming, but it is still a fairly reliable place for a white-tailed eagle. Mostly scope views, though. Texel would certainly still be a rewarding place in June. Accommodation may be a little difficult at that time, so try to book in advance if you plan to stay there. A good spot for the bluethroat could also be the ‘Groene Jonker’. ( Groene Jonker | Birdingplaces). The area also hosts quite a few other reed birds, but I don’t know if they would be of any interest to you. Whatever you decide to do, have a good time!

If you are specifically looking for Bluethroat, I would recommen the Wagbachniederung near Karlsruhe as a good stop off point as there are afew pairs breeding there. Lots of other interesting species here as well (eg Purple Heron). Map:

In case Collared Flycatcher is a target, a good site are the woods around the Leipheim festival area, even into mid June:

In northern Germany, I would recommen the Steinhuder Meer as a good site for White-tailed Eagle and Osprey with both breeding locally. There are some ferry tours around the lake so could ideally be combined with a family trip as well. The wetlands at the west end are good for waders and other birds.

A bit nearer to Cologne, the Rieselfelder Muenster are another great site which as a decent population of Bluethroat:

Do you have any other target species or things of interest?

June is pretty amazing in the Baltic States, just turn right in Germany. White-tailed Eagles are almost more common than House Sparrows
:)

Actually, this is a serious suggestion - not such a long drive from Germany to Poland/Lithuania and the birding will be far better in June than in Germany/Netherlands.

not such a long drive from Germany to Poland/Lithuania and the birding will be far better in June than in Germany/Netherlands.
I am sure about the better birding, but 1600 km from Cologne sound like a longish drive to me (and we are long-distance drivers) 😉. We have just those 10 days as we need to be back here on the 21st.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back