• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Glasgow (1 Viewer)

Welcome Jeannie - Personally, I moved away from the centre of Glasgow many decades ago and my recollection of birds is limited to the commonest half-dozen or so species, plus one childhood event when a game of football stopped to observe a "Sparrowhawk" in the sky above us, which I now know must have been a Kestrel.

That said, some years ago, leaving the old transport museum adjacent to the Kelvin Hall, I was startled to see a Kingfisher buzz its way down the river, passing under the bridge from Kelvingrove Park at Dumbarton Road. Apparently, that's reasonably frequent nowadays, so you have a good chance of seeing quite a lot in the city (friend of mine had an Osprey at Hogganfield Loch - despite the highland-sounding name, that is a regular corporation park situated next to some highly moody schemes and across the M8 from Barlinnie prison. Nature finds a way.)

Hi Jeannie and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. All things Scottish can be found here. Also, keep an eye on threads titled something like Scottish Bashes; we try to meet up occasionally and they're always great fun. You'd be most welcome to join us on another if you can manage.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Hogganfield Loch does get some really good birds including 'tame' Whooper Swans and the odd Red Necked Grebe etc. There is another smaller loch not too far away from Hogganfield which has had Blue Winged Teal and a few other rarities too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back