• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Golden eagle, a true killer! (1 Viewer)

For some reason I can't accest the initial video. The page opens, it's all in german, but nothing. Sounds amazing, I would love to see it.

not sure if its true or not sadly. footage is amazing yet it seems there must have been a few cameras around. there is another similar one but in that the eagle knocks the goat off the click - i take it that the prey item is a chamois?

Outstanding! In the final shot, the eagle almost looks like he's wondering what he's gonna do now with two dead Capercaillies.

Is this comment true posted below the youtube video:

"It was filmed in the 70's by the greatest naturalist Felix Rodriguez de la Fuente. He made the most beautiful series of documentaries called "El hombre y la tierra", you can probably find it in the net but not sure if it'll be translated to english.
The scene is not quite real, they used falconry skills to domesticate and train the eagle, in order to obtain the images. He also was a master of falconry."

Just to clarify, it's the second clip (youtube)with the goat that is apparently staged. The many camera angles are a clear indication. But the one with the Capercaillies seems authentic. Golden Eagles are known to ambush prey by swooping in low now and then. BTW, the language on the first link is Norwegian, not German.

It was not trying to defend the other bird

THe game bird was NOT trying to protect the other bird. It was just PISSED ready for a fight when the eagle just got in the way. THe game bird took out its frustraion on the eagle. Plus these game birds are EXTREMLY agresive birds and will attack ANYTHING including humans during breeding season. They will even go after horses. THey are one of the most agressive game birds that exist!

I dont understand how the eagle managed to not get injured? maybe it did get a bit injored. It took some heavy beatings and let itself get spured af ew times before it started to fight back. Those spurs are HUGe and can do some serious damage

Last edited:
Incredible, looks like the film was shortened. who took this and where?

it doesn't look staged, i don't see how some sicko could be able to discreetly bring an eagle so close and release, they'd be scared off surely?

Last edited:
No Capercaillies when in breeding season usually fear NOTHING they think they are the most powerful creatures on this earth, trust me ive had personal experience with them! Nasty nasty tempered birds!

it looks so natural, it doesn't seem staged, but I may be wrong. I hope not.

It would be great to get the film-makers view.

Thought it did look a bit staged- bit sick if it was!

That second capercaillie was up for it though! Pretty mad of it to take on an eagle- I thought it would have made a hasty exit once the eagle hit the other bird!

I would doubt that the caper video was staged. No falconer would leave his eagle in there with the two of them in the fear of injury. I think the camera man was in the right place at the right time on two accounts. The eagle would have flown right past the hide on the way in and would not have knew he was going to be a flim star.

Gary

There are a few things, which still don’t seem correct for me with this film.

1) Cameraman: There’s no surprise in the filming the camera is perfectly set for the appearance of this Eagle.

2) The Eagle: I’ve seen a few kills on Hares and one Bambi, in all cases the bird has hit its prey with force driving the talons in, knocking the prey backwards. This bird lands on the Caper from a low angle. My guess, it was released no more than 25ft from these birds from the fist. Also we are in a wooded area, now you can bet your bottom dollar that no Eagle would fly through a wood unseen by the local bird population. An argument could be put for the fact that the Capers were totally engrossed in each other, but the sound mike would have picked up some warnings.

3) The Film: With unique wildlife footage, such as Attenborough’s Gorilla’s and Killer Whales, the footage is shown time after time after time. If you had taken such a sequence as an independent filmmaker, then you would maximise your royalties by releasing it to the networks, this is the first time I’ve seen this footage.

Last edited:
There are a few things, which still don’t seem correct for me with this film.

1) Cameraman: There’s no surprise in the filming the camera is perfectly set for the appearance of this Eagle.

2) The Eagle: I’ve seen a few kills on Hares and one Bambi, in all cases the bird has hit its prey with force driving the talons in, knocking the prey backwards. This bird lands on the Caper from a low angle. My guess, it was released no more than 25ft from these birds from the fist. Also we are in a wooded area, now you can bet your bottom dollar that no Eagle would fly through a wood unseen by the local bird population. An argument could be put for the fact that the Capers were totally engrossed in each other, but the sound mike would have picked up some warnings.

3) The Film: With unique wildlife footage, such as Attenborough’s Gorilla’s and Killer Whales, the footage is shown time after time after time. If you had taken such a sequence as an independent filmmaker, then you would maximise your royalties by releasing it to the networks, this is the first time I’ve seen this footage.

Hi pe'rigin,

You might be interested in this thread (or at least the first post!) from Jan 2002 on uk.rec.birdwatching:

http://tinyurl.com/yslrqa

Personally, I believe the caper sequence is genuine. The guy was filming lecking capers so it stands to reason he would be set up for filming. I might be wrong, but I think the soundtrack is usually dubbed on after filming has taken place. As you can see from the above thread, the sequence won an award in Norway, so it has been out there for some time. I'd agree though - it is odd it hasn't been shown on TV before now (at least you and I have never seen it!), as it's an incredible piece of film.

Jonathan

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back