• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

?golden eagle, Outer Hebrides (1 Viewer)

marnixR

WYSIWYG
not sure whether the attached is a golden or a white-tailed eagle
at the time of observation the tail appeared to be closer to that of a golden eagle, but looking at the heavily cropped images i'm starting to have my doubts

pictures taken a few weeks ago near Bogha Glas in North Harris

Attachments

• IMG_8710.JPG
    IMG_8710.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_8711.JPG
    IMG_8711.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_8715.JPG
    IMG_8715.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 49
what first confused me was the amount of white in the tail, but I now believe that’s a feature of being a juvenile ?

what first confused me was the amount of white in the tail, but I now believe that’s a feature of being a juvenile ?
Yes, immature Golden Eagles have a very conspicuous black-and-white tail. In immature WTEs, the tail is a bit shorter (may appear longer than an adult WTE's, though) and can be partly white in sub-adult birds, but more like "brown feathers with a white core", never the clear white-with-black-tip of a GE.
FWIW, the famous traditional headdresses of some American tribes feature those exact feathers (of immature Golden Eagles).

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back